Care homes for the elderly

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 22 August 2014 6.03pm
Hi just wondered if anyone has any good recommendations for residential care homes for elderly mum in SE1 or a roundabouts please
Saturday 23 August 2014 8.59pm
Since the wonderful st.olaves was closed I dont know, just stay away from the one at the bricklayers arms roundabout....I went there about ten years ago and there was two small lifts and one were not working! contact southwark council and go through to social services registration and ask or go to the library in old kent road and ask staff for the council reports of individual care homes.They are on the shelves.
Sunday 24 August 2014 7.32am
Thank you so much! I have found one in Sumner rd ...wondered if anyone any experience of it? Thanks
Sunday 24 August 2014 10.12am
Kate on the cqc site ( care quality crap!) mean a report in june this year commented about the medicine..negative...not getting it when neccessary etc., and ask if your family member can take small items of furniture so it is not such a wrench leaving their home and they can recognise familiar things. I suggest you check all reports about nursing homes tho' Kate, not just this one.

If you have to make an appointment just to look..steer clear....if the home smells of urine...ditto..if it smells of poo that cant be helped , but urine means patients are left unchanged. ask about the food...what time do they get there a choice. St.Olaves would let you in any time of the day and even let you have breakfast in the lovely dining room..

If the place is unbearably hot, with residents falling asleep through boredom. avoid it. ask if they have a hairdresser, chiropodist...ask how many staff are on duty at night, divide the number of residents up..i.e. how may staff to care for 50 residents..ask if they have any singers/entertainers going in to relieve the boredom. Ask if they can sit in a garden. I would die if I could not get outside during the day.

it is a nightmare...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: