Garden Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 50 of 52
Tuesday 15 August 2017 1.32pm
I would disagree.
The arguments for and against had been well aired by the time he became mayor.
He dillied and dallied, expressed muted support for the bridge, dillied some more, called for an inquiry (about the procurement process, NOT about whether the bridge should be built or not), withdrew the guarantee of TfL funding...and quietly left the project to suffocate.

I'm very happy that the bridge won't be built, but I would rather have a mayor who pulled the plug in the first weeks of coming into office.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 15 August 2017 2.57pm
denis loretto wrote:
Ivanhoe
I understand your point but look at the situation Sadiq inherited. Boris & Co. had established the widespread impression that this was the greatest thing since sliced bread, largely funded from private sources and with much money already spent. It is hardly surprising that he took some time to see where his public duty lay. His ultimate decision was courageous.

I agree with most of this, but the adjective I'd use at the end is 'pragmatic' rather than 'courageous'.

The monstering that the Russian oligarch who owns the Standard would have instructed his editorial poodles (Sands then, Osborn now) to deliver to a Labour candidate who opposed the bridge in the 2016 elections would have massively diverted campaigning attention.

Instead, Khan took the easier route of switching to support the bridge during the campaign and then, quietly and methodically, getting the evidence and public support to end it. Every time the anti-bridge campaign made a noise, and every time more evidence of the inability of the trust to deliver its promises became more obvious, this became politically easier.

I'd rather the Mayor had stood up to the bully-boy lick-spittles of the tax-avoiding oligarchs, and their public money trough-feeding hangers-on, and cancelled it immediately, but I understand why he didn't.
Tuesday 15 August 2017 3.21pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
denis loretto wrote:
Ivanhoe
I understand your point but look at the situation Sadiq inherited. Boris & Co. had established the widespread impression that this was the greatest thing since sliced bread, largely funded from private sources and with much money already spent. It is hardly surprising that he took some time to see where his public duty lay. His ultimate decision was courageous.

I agree with most of this, but the adjective I'd use at the end is 'pragmatic' rather than 'courageous'.

The monstering that the Russian oligarch who owns the Standard would have instructed his editorial poodles (Sands then, Osborn now) to deliver to a Labour candidate who opposed the bridge in the 2016 elections would have massively diverted campaigning attention.

Instead, Khan took the easier route of switching to support the bridge during the campaign and then, quietly and methodically, getting the evidence and public support to end it. Every time the anti-bridge campaign made a noise, and every time more evidence of the inability of the trust to deliver its promises became more obvious, this became politically easier.

I'd rather the Mayor had stood up to the bully-boy lick-spittles of the tax-avoiding oligarchs, and their public money trough-feeding hangers-on, and cancelled it immediately, but I understand why he didn't.

That is a very interesting analysis. I don't have a better one, so I guess I agree with yours....
Tuesday 15 August 2017 5.50pm
Of course I agree that it would have been better if Sadiq had pulled the plug at the outset as Rambling Phil says but he had the difficulty that he had gone along with it in his election campaign -
and at least had to look seriously at the realities when he took office. For some time he seemed to be influenced by the spurious argument that the money already spent would be wasted if the project did not proceed. In the end Margaret Hodge and others no doubt persuaded him that the waste of money had already taken place and his duty was to avoid the much greater waste that was inevitably to come. Given the great pressure from many influential people I still think that his ultimate decision took courage but I do largely agree with Rambling Phil's assessment.
Tuesday 15 August 2017 10.18pm
Walked across Waterloo Bridge tonight, wonderful sunset view, if I knew how to upload a photo I would. And I gave a little prayer of thanks that it will never be spoilt by the toffs idiocy.
Wednesday 16 August 2017 12.01am
Very happy that this thread (started in Aug 2014) has almost come to an end with news of the demise of this vanity project. The community had really come together to fight the GBT/CSCB/Lambeth from allowing this wasteful vanity project to be built upon a public right of way. We're fed up of being exploited and cheated out of land intended for the community. Of course those responsible for allowing this to happen must be brought to account. TCOS are calling for exactly that https://www.facebook.com/TCOSLondon/posts/1617420624956156
Wednesday 16 August 2017 5.38pm
Just out of idle curiosity where exactly did the 50 million contribution of public money come from? Will the public, IE you and I ever get a refund of a project that was doomed from the start. Will the investors get the 70 million back with interest. If they wanted to help London life a pedestrian bridge going to Canary Wharf would have been a godsend , or dig another tunnel under the Thames.

Just wondering...
Tuesday 22 August 2017 3.46pm
and now we can get behind a scheme for a bridge that is actually needed!

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/08/forget-londons-lost-garden-bridge-bring-on-nine-elms-to-pimlico/
Tuesday 22 August 2017 7.01pm
I still believe that a good location for a pedestrianized garden bridge would be at Blackfriars: the pillars are already there, so most of the construction cost has already been made (back in the 19th century!).

Wednesday 23 August 2017 12.17am
Absolutely! We keep being reminded we're a very obese nation so this is a grand opportunity to have a pedestrian and cycle bridge - oh to be car-free every day!
Current: 50 of 52

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network