Moving to the Elephant! Tips?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 28 August 2014 10.30am
Hi everyone,
I'm pleased to say that I'll be moving to E&C in a week or so, just found a flat off Charleston st.
I've been stalking this forum for a while and really love the sense of community here! So, I was going to ask for a couple of advice for making the move smoother..

1. Are there any must-see places close to charleston street that you'd recommend?
2. Any pubs/nice places to spend a night with a couple of friends?
3. Does anyone know if Burgess park is nice?
4. Now, the safety question (there had to be one..): any tips about how to stay clear of trouble for a girl going round on her own - apart from the usual do not flash your phone, do not walk around looking like a lost slug, avoid dark alleyways - ? I'm not too concerned about the area, but since I've been telling people I'm moving here they seem to try their best to make me paranoid. Is it actually that bad? Any must/must not do or particular places that are better avoided?

Thank you so much for any tip, looking forward to being part of the community!
Thursday 28 August 2014 11.44am
hello - welcome.
I moved into the area on my own in 1999 & lots of people tried to suggest it was a bad thing to do. I think you're right - being sensible & avoiding obviously risky scenarios are smart things to do in any postcode! I find night buses are a godsend,don't use subways at night on my own, avoid walking through parks when travelling late and travel home in flat shoes rather than staggering in heels... Simples. And it's a great area - recommend Southwark Playhouse - a local gem. Longdan is a great new shop on Walworth Rd, East St market worth exploring,Baldwins is an independent healthfood shop.... and this is really great community forum :-)
Thursday 28 August 2014 3.56pm
I lived at the E&C for 21 years, always felt safe. I have since moved to Bermondsey and still feel safe. You answered your own question regarding safety!! (keep your phone away!!)
Thursday 28 August 2014 5.01pm
Its not all that bad round here at all, everywhere has a dark side - just be vigilant!

The Roebuck on Great Dover street is our fave pub, great beer, great food and very welcoming.

Burgess park is a young but great park, the cafe is good for brekkie :) Southwark park is a bit further away but a nice place to visit.

I'm sure you'll work it all out for yourself!
Thursday 28 August 2014 5.12pm
Contrary to popular belief, it's always been safe.
Thursday 28 August 2014 5.23pm
Generally walk with a confident air as if you know where you are going, walk facing the traffic and closer to the kerb than the buildings. don't flash your phone or any other valuables, keep your keys seperate from your money and your bag then in the very unlikely event that your bag does get stolen at least you can get into your home easily. Don't get legless and stay away from dark and deserted areas. All this you should apply wherever you live, do not be fearful of the area just be aware that bad things happen everywhere.
Welcome to "Sarf Lunnon"" especially the "Ellyfant", enjoy your life because I'm sure that you will find that it will come easy in your new home Good luck.
Friday 29 August 2014 9.47am
Thank you all for the tips!

I'll definitely check out the pubs/shops/markets you recommended :)
Friday 29 August 2014 10.31am
My personal favourites.
West Square, so quiet and restful.
The War museum has always something on and it's just reopen, so I am hoping for better cafes there.
Bermondsey square antique market on Friday mornings, before work.
Colombian restaurants Bodeguita and Lenos y Carbon.
Chinese restaurant on Walworth road.
For groceries, East street market, the Oriental supermarket on Walworth road, Borough market.
I have lived at the E&C for 19 years and have never felt unsafe whatever time of the day and night. I love the mixture of people and the closeness to the City adn West End. Get a bike, you can cycle anywhere from here. So many people are prejudiced against the Elephant. But wait to see their faces when you tell them you get home in about 15 minutes after a night out...
Friday 29 August 2014 1.49pm
Welcome, desluc! Like you, I'm a lone female and I live in The Elephant. I've been living here for over 3 years, the majority of which has been alone. I've never once felt unsafe whilst wandering, though vigilance and sense is key - a rule that should be applied to any area in London. Avoid the subways in the late evening, and don't become complacent as most of the crime appears to be oppotunistic, i.e. snatching phones from hands.

Elephant isn't a bad area at all, though aesthetically isn't as pleasant as other areas within SE1, and you'll often find people turn their noses up when you tell them where you live through rumour and common misconception. I absolutely love living here.

The only time I have run in to any trouble in my time in London has been in Soho! Enjoy your new home & neighbourhood.
Friday 29 August 2014 2.15pm
The Elephant is a terrific place to live. You can get anywhere in London by one of the tube lines or a bus - we are spoiled for choice. But no need to go anywhere...the much maligned shopping centre really has everything you need,we love it.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: