EasyBus to Gatwick-Waterloo - Don't Use!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 4 September 2014 7.25pm
What happens is that, if by any chance your flight is late, and you lose your scheduled bus, they have no capacity to absorbe other passengers. The same happens if, for any kind of reason, a minivan is missing (mechanical problem, driver unavailable etc.)

I guess the system is not that different from the big coaches of Terravision or National Express from Stansted, but in that case you have a full bus so usually there is space enough for everyone.
Wednesday 12 April 2017 4.35pm
Not sure why anyone in SE1 bothers with the Gatwick Express when you can get a train direct to Gatwick (and Luton) from Blackfriars Station. It takes around 35 mins, so not much difference time-wise. It's probably also cheaper, but I can't vouch for that - no doubt someone on here will know the answer to that. Also, anything which involves road transport when you have a flight to catch is decidedly risky, in my opinion, as you can never be certain how long the trip will take due to congestion, road closures, possible accidents etc.
Wednesday 12 April 2017 7.28pm
suziq wrote:
Not sure why anyone in SE1 bothers with the Gatwick Express when you can get a train direct to Gatwick (and Luton) from Blackfriars Station. It takes around 35 mins, so not much difference time-wise. It's probably also cheaper, but I can't vouch for that - no doubt someone on here will know the answer to that. Also, anything which involves road transport when you have a flight to catch is decidedly risky, in my opinion, as you can never be certain how long the trip will take due to congestion, road closures, possible accidents etc.

Currently 42-53 minutes due to the Thameslink works. However there are some less frequent trains from London Bridge that only take half an hour and another decent route is to get on at Waterloo and change to a Southern service at Clapham Junction which is about as quick as going from Blackfriars.
Thursday 13 April 2017 12.14pm
That's good to know as I'm off to Gatwick soon. I didn't realise the Thameslink work had resulted in a slower service, so thanks for clarifying - I still won't risk trying to get there by road though!
Saturday 15 April 2017 4.03pm
Only a gambling type of supreme optimist would chance getting to Gatwick, or any airport, by road from south London.
We've always gone from London Bridge, save for one time that we had an early flight, and Blackfriars had a train earlier than London Bridge.
I've also gone from London Bridge to Luton on the one unfortunate time that she who knows best indoors perused the internet for a flight.
Both the train journey to Luton, and flight went okay, but as I can count the flights that we've had from Luton in the past 30 years on the fingers of one hand, it always feels like an alien world there.
Going through the doors at Luton airport makes me feel like I'm walking through Checkpoint Alpha, from Helmstedt, W. Germany, into Marienborn, East Germany in the 70s., I just don't belong.
Zoe
Saturday 15 April 2017 9.13pm
Luton airport is good as it's small and you get through very quickly, but it'll be better once they do the connection between the train station and the airport, as then it'll be as easy for SE1 as Gatwick is (I always think we are a bit spoilt with the same train going to two airports and access from the southbank, I resent having to drag myself to Heathrow!!).
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: