PC hard drive repair

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 6 September 2014 11.30am
Help! I have an external hard drive which has suddenly stopped talking to my PC. Can anyone recommend a good local PC repair outfit who would take on a small job like this? Thanks.
Saturday 6 September 2014 11.47pm
do not go to the charlatans on tooley street near dockhead - you will get back your computer in bits, with the wrong cables and half wiped hard drives. Nice guys in person but their service is f*cking awful and Ive tried twice...
TTT
Monday 8 September 2014 11.30am
Rupert wrote:
Help! I have an external hard drive which has suddenly stopped talking to my PC. Can anyone recommend a good local PC repair outfit who would take on a small job like this? Thanks.

1) If it spins up, the problem is most likely the casing. Get a new case from eBay / Amazon (a few ), take the hdd out of old case and put into new. Easy

2) Does it click, struggle to start up? Try putting it in the freezer for 1/2 hour. Hopefully, after that it works. Get your data off asap, and transfer to a new drive
Monday 8 September 2014 12.17pm
"Don't Despair, Repair"
-- Rupert, Julia, a favourite option is the RESTART PROJECT
*** http://therestartproject.org/ ***

..."a London-based social enterprise that encourages and empowers people to use their electronics longer, by learning fundamental repair and maintenance skills"

...its community repair events (Webber Street, Goodlife Centre // Brixton // Tooting and across East and North London) not only bring IT back from the dead (and other consumer electronics and electricals too -- their diagnosis brilliance is surprisingly far-reaching and determined!) but Restart's reStarters show anyone who turns up "how it's done", and how to do it for themselves :-) And yes, Restart Parties are FREE. Restart's 'IT-ites' are so happy to teach tech they volunteer their time, knowledge and skills in return for us not giving up on our gadgets. That's the deal, and me thinks its a good one :-)

NEXT SESSION...

Tuesday, September 9, 6-9 pm

Brixton Restart Party (this month in Tooting)

Description: Transition Tooting has invited us to throw a Restart Party. At Mushkil Aasaan between Tooting Bec and Tooting Broadway.

Otherwise, I recommend the next 'Hackney Restart' on 20 September ...if you can wait that long and the bike or bus ride isn't too long!

http://therestartproject.org/events/

N.B "Our community events last three hours, but if you want help with a device, we strongly recommend you arrive during the first two hours."

"We also host monthly skillshares for women and Restarter volunteers."
Monday 8 September 2014 12.40pm
And yes, I'm far from being the only fan! RESTART continues to get extensive media and 'institutional' coverage and support ..featured on the BBC's One Show, in the Guardian (of course!) and later this month Restart is back in Kensington at the V & A, having been at the Science Museum, a couple of months ago. Meanwhile, 'Corporates' -- such as Deutsche Bank -- are taking them to their hearts, and having them run Restart Parties in-house. So if as an 'SE1-zen' you don't want to travel to a Restart 'far-away' then have them come to you, to your office -- a chargeable service but a worthwhile way to spend a little of the professional development/PR or CSR budget! :-)
Just don't throw the phones and IT away without at least giving it an informed second opinion and important second chance! Good luck
Friday 12 September 2014 7.25pm
the one I used is in Essex Rainham. I dont like ones round here to be honest. but I guess to far for you really.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: