Street 'furniture' on The Cut

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 9 September 2014 10.14pm
Lambeth Council do not seem keen to impose their own regulations. The area around the Delicate Cafe and the dry cleaners on The Cut is almost impassable at lunch time. The cafe has four tables outside and there are five A frames for just two shops. We have written to the council but nothing seems to be done about it. It is an accident waiting to happen because one day someone will walk into the gutter to get past the obstructions and will be hit be a car. Any suggestions anyone?
Wednesday 10 September 2014 7.22am
I agree with Karen, Lambeth Council are absolutely terrible and have done nothing to ensure that pedestrians can walk along The Cut.I have sent 3 emails, had 3 conversations with streetcare put photo's on Twitter but still no response.The only time they will act is if someone is seriously injured
Wednesday 10 September 2014 7.27am
It is worse than you say Karen if you start counting at the Young Vic and continue to the zebra crossing and back to Short Street. I recently counted 14 A frame notice boards and two large pot plants.
Queues blocking the footpath at the Windmill street food stall and the ATM at Sainsburys, it is beyond me why people have to queue across the footpath instead of alongside the wall and windows of Sainsburys.
But you have to admit it does make the walk interesting with all the chicanes introduced by the al fresco seating and the hurdles of A boards.
The blind are treated with such contempt over these matters it is as if somebody's mindset is "I hope they enjoy their trip".
You don't have to be as cynical as me to realise the footpaths were not widened for the benefit of pedestrians but for the income of the councils. They realised, very early, that with indoor smoking banned the cafes and bars would need outside seating for their customers and the council could and would charge for that, equally A boards. I believe the current charge is 75 per square metre, not bad for doing nothing.

So what you are asking for Karen is for Lambeth council to kill one of their golden geese, it aint gonna happen.
Wednesday 10 September 2014 7.57am
The rules on Tables & Chairs is quite clear from Lambeth Council own ruling. Tables & Chairs must not exceed more than 1.2m from front of premises and must leave 1.8m of Pavement for pedestrians. If there is less than 1.8m for pedestrians then the 1.2m is reduced.
The previous enforcement officer Nick Anderson was extremely good but now we have a team that definitely favours the shops over residents
Wednesday 10 September 2014 9.42am
How do you get Lambeth to enforce their own regulations?
Wednesday 10 September 2014 3.59pm
I believe that Lambeth do not charge for A frames.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: