Boycott Human Zoo. Exhibit B@The Vaults/Barbican

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 11 September 2014 9.37am
The Barbican has hired The Vaults under Waterloo Station to put on a disgraceful exhibition. Exhibit B. Where Black people are on show in cages and shackled.
'Exhibit Bí recreates, in graphic detail, the lesser known atrocities of colonialism and slavery. Bailey, a white South African, uses black performers to present his fetishized interpretation of the African Holocaust.
This show is a national disgrace.

https://www.facebook.com/boycotthumanzoo
Thursday 11 September 2014 11.21am
Interesting piece in the Guardian about this:

[i]http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/sep/05/exhibit-b-is-the-human-zoo-racist-the-performers-respond[/i]

To quote on the female actors involved:

'I feel blessed to have been in a position where I was able to tell a story of the injustice of past and present so that the future doesnít have to be the same. Anna Modi

Personally, anything which educates people on the atrocities of the past gets my vote and my custom.
Thursday 11 September 2014 12.45pm
The cover up is a national disgrace - covered up by the Foreign Office even now (read http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/apr/18/britain-destroyed-records-colonial-crimes).

Being uncomfortable at its portrayal is utterly irrelevant.
Thursday 11 September 2014 4.04pm
In this century I believe the Admiralty destroyed papers about Nelsons ship where sailors were maltreated and possibly hung. Could not have Britains sea captain shown up could they!
Friday 12 September 2014 6.40pm
There is a lot more information on this boycott. the Barbican refuse to take part in any dialogue.
http://boycotthumanzoouk.com/boycott-the-human-zoo-withdraw-the-racist-exhibit-b-from-the-barbican-press-release/
Wednesday 24 September 2014 3.27pm
I find myself in agreement with this from politics.co.uk
Thursday 25 September 2014 6.57am
Sandgrown Dave wrote:
I find myself in agreement with this from politics.co.uk

So do I. I am a grown up, capable of independent thought. I would have preferred to make up my own mind on the exhibition, I have now been deprived of that opportunity. In my opinion the ban achieved by the protestors does more damage than good.
Thursday 25 September 2014 1.35pm
what a bunch of pathetic individuals! All this does is hurt their own cause as apparently a section of the black community has rallied against and shut down the opening night of anti-racist play because in their opinion having black people in chains is racist!

I would rate this on barmy muppet scale of jewish holocaust deniers.
Thursday 25 September 2014 2.43pm
Gegabone wrote:
what a bunch of pathetic individuals! All this does is hurt their own cause as apparently a section of the black community has rallied against and shut down the opening night of anti-racist play because in their opinion having black people in chains is racist!

Not sure whom you're ranting against - holocaust deniers, a black community that shut down a play or the "anti-racists" who shut down the exhibition, or all of them?
Thursday 25 September 2014 2.56pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Gegabone wrote:

Not sure whom you're ranting against - holocaust deniers, a black community that shut down a play or the "anti-racists" who shut down the exhibition, or all of them?

Why shouldn't he rant against all of them? The protesters seem to have totally misinterpreted the purpose and thinking behind the exhibition - and they seem to have taken particular umbrage at the involvement of a 'white South African' in the organisation (and if that isn't racist I don't know what is).
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: