Best Post Office Service SE1 ?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 11 September 2014 4.18pm
I have just had appallingly bad service at the Walworth Road Post Office. I took a large letter in to be sent and requested 'recorded 1st class'... ( This is not complicated I thought to myself) What was in the letter I was asked? ( This was UK not international!) (None of your b. business I thought) "Important?" he said "Not really" I said. "7.15 pounds" "What?" Is that recorded delivery? "Yes, that is signed for and delivered tomorrow"

If you happen to be reading this, having pulled your head away from the book/manual you were reading throughout the above dialogue, I can inform you that the price for recorded signed for 1st class for this item is 2.34 pounds ( Royal mail website) . I did not ask for a special delivery service (7.15 pounds)but perhaps you already knew this???

So to all SE1ers.... Do you have any examples of really good Post Office Service? Walworth Road PO is not somewhere I usually go.and not somewhere I will go to in future.. I have nothing but praise for the PO close to Bermondsey Tube where the staff are nothing but polite and efficient even when it gets really busy!
Where are your favourite post offices?
Thursday 11 September 2014 5.52pm
Having read the title, I immediately thought of Jamaica Road Post Office (close to Bermondsey Tube) and was going to mention it, but you've beaten me to it! They are very helpful in there and always polite. So too is the Post Office down the Blue (Southwark Park Road). Sadly both are outside SE1.
Thursday 11 September 2014 7.27pm
There is a sub-post office in the co-op in great dover street you could try...sometimes they have 2 people on the counter.
Thursday 11 September 2014 11.48pm
my beef at London Bridge - PO where I have had appalling service in the past -but much better recently - is you queue for 20 mins plus and whilst you are being served a queue of 20 plus is behind you and staff are trying to sell you a product / credit card and then encourage you to fill in the form with you ( obviously on commission) whilst the queue gets bigger. Whilst I have no problem with 'enterprise' there is a time and place.

Service much better though.
Service at Co-op SBR better but they need to time lunch breaks better as in don't have the least amount of staff at the busier times of day between 1-2pm.
Friday 12 September 2014 12.01pm
Westminster Bridge Road P.O.
Fastest most efficient I have ever dealt with.
I believe recorded delivery is now referred to as "signed for" and as you said should cost 2.34.
The reason you were asked what was in the letter is because Royal Mail does not pay compensation on signed for mail that goes missing, so if the contents are important or valuable the way to go is guaranteed delivery next morning, which has to be signed for, which costs 7.15
This happened to me recently when I sent a watch to my nephew and dicovered later when I read the small print that I would have had no redress if it had gone missing.
Of course the counter clerks should explain this but they must be embarrassed trying to explain and justify the unfair terms of trade "recorded or signed for mail" operates.
Friday 12 September 2014 1.22pm
I use Blackfriars, SBR and LB in that order of preference.
Friday 12 September 2014 4.12pm
Have used Blackfriars Road PO for many years.
Good service, friendly and helpful staff.
Gets very busy at times, so I try to go when there is no queue.
Saturday 13 September 2014 7.35am
I also vote for Jamaica Road for great service. Huge queues Thursday 1.30pm for counter service at Borough High Street but they do now have 4 self service machines which were much speedier. Made me feel like I was in a Tesco Metro or Sainsburys Local!
Saturday 13 September 2014 3.51pm
I've used Westminster Bridge Road a few times this week.. Always helpful and advise of cheaper options if they can.
Saturday 13 September 2014 10.14pm
Kory, I had forgotten the waiting time in the queue at london bdge.p.o. over 15 minutes, standing with a walking stick for that long nearly killed me....as they were promoting insurances/holiday travel insurance etc...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: