Bermondsey Station may end up in Zone 1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 11 September 2014 6.53pm
Bermondsey underground station is in zone 2, talks of making it zone 1, I am against myself as will end up costing more to me when I go from Bermondsey to Barking. Bermondsey is not even in central london its SE,

What do you think?
Thursday 11 September 2014 7.29pm
I would not think of Bermondsey as central london, mind you when the developers add their blurb on sales it will be described as 'the heart of central london!' Where did it say about the change of banding? you could write to Boris? :-)
Thursday 11 September 2014 9.14pm
The suggestion is that it become a boundary zone 1 and 2 station. Tickets for both zones would be valid.

http://www.se16.com/2464-should-bermondsey-tube-become-a-zone-1-station

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 12 September 2014 5.27am
the same thing is happening to Stratford
Friday 12 September 2014 7.58am
Seems like a good suggestion if I've read it right.
Friday 12 September 2014 9.19am
It depends what you think a "Zone 1" place represents.

I'm pretty happy with the current Zone 1, except that I think it extends too far on the Western end.

Bayswater, Notting Hill, Earls Court, Gloucester Rd: these places shouldn't be in Zone 1, imho. However, if we accept that these places should be Zone 1, then Bermondsey is possibly Zone 1 too.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 12 September 2014 9.50am
I don't think it's so much about what it "represents"; it's all about lower fares. At the moment, someone travelling from Bermondsey to, say, Waterloo pays a higher fare than if they were travelling from London Bridge to Waterloo because they are going through two zones. The proposal means they will pay the same fare.
Friday 12 September 2014 10.29am
Yes Gavin, but your argument applies to anyone crossing any zone boundary (Kennington to Waterloo, for example, or Warwick Avenue to Paddington).

So, I think, there has to be some sort of underlying reason why Zone 1 is what it is, and what it represents to be in Zone 1 (and the same for the other zones).

I think it's a meaningful descriptor (for instance, when someone who's maybe new to London and has never heard of Borough and probably thinks it's way out in the suburbs) to be able to say: It's in Zone 1.

We were having an interesting discussion about this at the weekend. Mrs I was insisting that there's something about Camden, for example, which definitely makes it NOT a Zone 1 place, and I can see what she means. I'm not sure whether that something can be objectively measured, but I think it needs to be in order to answer the question of whether Bermondsey is Zone 1 or not.

Friday 12 September 2014 11.06am
If one was to use distance in the decision making process and referencing Charing cross as the very centre of London. Earls Court (current Zone1) to Charing Cross =4.1 miles, Bermondsey (current Zone2) to Charing Cross =3.9 miles. Less in fact, as the crow flies. I vote to be in zone 1!
Friday 12 September 2014 11.58am
Of course, that depends on whether you think Earls Court should be in Zone 1...

...I don't, but obviously others differ.

Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: