Internet controlled heating

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 16 September 2014 10.33am
Anyone know someone who can advise on and install an internet-controlled thermostat for a small electric underfloor heating system? I've spent ages looking on the internet and, much to my surprise, can find only product suppliers. Strangely enough, none of these seems to know who installs their products.
TTT
Wednesday 17 September 2014 12.16pm
Why not do it yourself?

Is your heating on/off or controlled output?

If on/off, you can either install a dedicated 16A thermostat (http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/heatmiser-prt-ets-wifi-electric-floor-heating-wifi-thermostat/)
or you could use something like the Nest Thermostat (240V / 3A) and use a relay to switch the actual heating.

If the latter, you really just need a timer, since the heater itself would take care of the temperature.
Wednesday 17 September 2014 2.56pm
Thanks TTT. I did wonder if I could do it myself. I need to check out the features as I would like something that:

1. I can switch on and override any programmed timing if I've been away and want to heat the place up to 20C before i get home
2. Has a minimum temperature that switches it on automatically without my interference when temperature goes below say 12C
3. Can be programmed to come on and off at preset times/termperatures when I am there (as does my present thermostat)
4. Does not preferably have to rely on a third-party website to switch on and off

I guess the people who sell them should be able to answer these questions though the people I have spoken to did not inspire much confidence.

Any thoughts very welcome!
TTT
Thursday 18 September 2014 3.31pm
Hi andrewll,

NEST does 1-3, but you do need to sign up to their website for remote control (still will need a relay).
I don't know how the Heatmiser handles it.
If you're feeling adventurous, it's the sort of thing a Raspberry Pi or Arduino would be able to do.
Monday 22 September 2014 11.42am
Thanks again. I guess I'll have ot have a go!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: