10 charge for fireworks

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 17 September 2014 11.47am
Amusingly the comment about the charge quickly escalating seems to have already increased it by 20% from 10 to 12....
Has anyone living within the outlined zone been contacted about this yet or been advised how they and any NY house guests will be treated?
Wednesday 17 September 2014 11.57am
How did you find out about the outlined zone?
Wednesday 17 September 2014 12.12pm
in the article it said: The ticket zone is expected to include streets between the South Bank and The Cut from Westminster Bridge to Blackfriars Bridge.
Wednesday 17 September 2014 12.25pm
DOH, should read more closely. Sorry
Wednesday 17 September 2014 3.42pm
I live within the zone and haven't been contacted yet because any contact would have let the cat out of the bag and ruined BoJo's moment in the news today.
I do wonder if the 10 ticket for 100,000 people will pay the costs of policing our area or will we, as usual, the taxpayers pick up another tab.
Who pays for the firework display anyway?
I hope I'm not included in the answer.
Wednesday 17 September 2014 8.08pm
Makes total sense really. Especially with so many concerns about security. Anyway it looks so much better on the telly ...and this isn't Sydney, NYE in London is cold and wet
Wednesday 17 September 2014 11.40pm
It's a ridiculous idea to charge to see the fireworks. It will not improve safety because the majority of people who come to see the fireworks don't get into the desired area anyway - and they don't care as long as they are among like minded people and can see some of the display. The revenue is expected to pay for the extra security required in order to police a ticketed area and so security elsewhere will likely be the same as previous years. I think it is disgraceful that tourists will make their way to see the fireworks and will be shocked to find they need a ticket; no other country would dream of charging for a large public display like this. It's an ill-thought plan and I think they should have looked at alternatives that would spread the crowds. For example, smaller (cheaper) displays along a wider stretch of the river - a mini version of year 2000, or perhaps lazer displays from some of the taller buildings. Or how about some kind of light display on boats traveling along the whole length of the river. It doesn't really matter what it is, as long as people have a place to go to celebrate publicly and have a good time. And what is wrong with that?
Wednesday 17 September 2014 11.59pm
I think It's embarrassing.
Thursday 18 September 2014 8.23am
In one of the articles it indicated that the money from the 10 charge would cover the cost of administering the 10 charge - implying that there's no contribution to the other costs of the event....
Thursday 18 September 2014 9.54am
I predict that some will pay the 10 charge, and many others will crowd into the surrounding streets causing a problem for the long suffering residents in the area.
I agree with Karen that we could use boats and barges along the length of the river, and forget about charging.
Heard a chap on the radio from Boris' office saying that we should all watch it on the telly anyway.
Then why bother putting on a display if you don't want anyone to see it?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: