Refused resident's parking permit in zone C1- Bankside

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Thursday 18 September 2014 10.19am
Good morning neighbours,

I've just purchased a car thinking I will be able to park right in front of my flat, in controlled zone C1 (Bankside - 8:30AM-11:00PM Mon-Sun). However, I was refused a resident's parking permit in this zone because the council does not allow residents of "new build developments" to purchase a permit. (How is that even legal? When I pay an exorbitant council tax?)
This is a huge issue for me as I have nowhere to park now. Please can I ask if anyone knows :
- Whether I can dispute this
- A way around it
- Another permanent parking solution in Bankside ?

Help !

Thanks
Kassie

PS. Details of the council's (insane) rule here: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/474/parking_permits
Thursday 18 September 2014 11.09am
Many new builds in SE1 are not allowed to buy car parking permits and this has been in force for some time and that should have been clear when you purchased the property-or by your land lord if you are renting-the argument is that we (people living in SE1) do not need cars as so close to all amenities and good public transport. I would agree with you but there are many who will not

you can try the various online parking bay and garage sites to see if anyone is renting out in your area but will be a lot more expensive than a residents permit
Thursday 18 September 2014 11.40am
25.00 a month for a garage is what the JMB are asking for. Last year I saw a large quantity being unloaded into one of them! cheap storage space it seems..
Thursday 18 September 2014 11.42am
Kassie, ignore that as I have just read of plans to demolish garages on the kipling estate which is managed by JMB.to build properties..
Thursday 18 September 2014 11.45am
Thanks dee dee and Jan...
I guess i'll have to find someone to rent me their parking space.. What an inconvenience !
Thursday 18 September 2014 12.48pm
Whilst I'm sympathetic, it actually seems the fairest way of doing things. First time in a long while that I've thought council rules were not insane. Is there not some massive underground car park in your development? Your exorbitant council tax - which we all pay - funds core local government and London services - rubbish, council services, Met Police, etc.
Thursday 18 September 2014 12.58pm
If you got refused by the online application, then call them, it's not 100% correctly set up.
Thursday 18 September 2014 1.18pm
dee dee wrote:
the argument is that we (people living in SE1) do not need cars as so close to all amenities and good public transport.

Is that the official line? Them deciding on our behalf what we do or do not need?
Thursday 18 September 2014 1.30pm
when we queried some time ago re a new development near us -due to us worrying quite rightly they would use our car parking bays that it was the policy i note though their official site says two many cars but we were also told some time before when we queried not enough residents parking that they issue more permits than bays as the permit only gives the right to park and does not guarantee a place
Thursday 18 September 2014 1.35pm
I'm not sure whether that is the official line. Rather that by allowing the new builds that we've seen along the river in the last 15-20 years, those new builds would be precluded from parking as the council must have seen it that allowing occupants of those new premises to park in the area would mean taking parking spaces historically used elsewhere - there being only limited spaces already. Whatever the reason, I am in favour. Can't the OP buy a space in the underground car park?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: