New Council Homes survey

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 19 September 2014 3.53pm
I received a residents' survey in the post today about council housing redevelopment (the plan to build 11,000 new homes in the next 30 years). It relates to this webpage here

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200463/community_conversations/2923/lets_talk_about_new_council_homes_for_southwark

The six "pledges" covered in the survey are full of "reassurances" about consulting with residents before and during any work. Eg: "Any tenant or leaseholder wanting to stay in an area where development takes place will be offered options to do so."

Although the long term plan has already been announced, the questionnaire is rather menacing as it seems to anticipate compulsory purchases.

Does anyone know any more about this? Did the survey go out to everyone in a council property? Are there any details published about what proportion of new homes will come from demolishing or radically changing existing sites?

Also ironically the phone number given for the Community Engagement team is wrong, and that team has no phone number on their web page!
Friday 19 September 2014 4.07pm
Is that the same sort of pledge they gave residents of the Heygate?
Friday 19 September 2014 4.10pm
graham, we'd written about this as we got told about the 'conversations' two weeks ago now, when the whole of, what, 10 people outside the council knew about this!

we too got a questionnaire in the post, here in camberwell, and are still working on our 'formal' response. http://www.peoplesrepublicofsouthwark.co.uk/hold-news/news/3543-housing-conversations

ps i think i'd put info about the 'conversations' in another thread, possibly about council housing, doesn't matter.
Friday 19 September 2014 5.46pm
Jan - Exactly!

pros - Thanks for the reply and links.
Friday 19 September 2014 9.43pm
Friday 19 September 2014 10.15pm
They were delivered to us in Styles House today. It is such a stupid questionnaire, why would anyone tick NO to any of the questions? All of the pledges are sound and just. However, we all know that these pledges are just words on paper and consultation will only start once a decision has already been made by the council. For example, I doubt very much that the council will consult with anyone about which bit of land they are going to build on, so you might lose you lovely bit of garden so they can build another block of flats on your estate, but they will consult you about the colour of the doors! I noticed too Graeme, the implication of compulsory purchases. I know there is a list somewhere of all the estates where the council has identified spaces that could be built on but I don't think this has been widely circulated, so many people won't even realise that they might be losing some precious green space on their estate, or their storage sheds and garages. And whilst I understand that homes are more important than garages, a garage is a small structure and doesn't usually impact on properties, however, building on this space could have serious implications on peoples' lives. Most estates were designed to maximise light into peoples' properties and messing around with a purpose built estate could have a terrible effect on people.
Sunday 21 September 2014 2.53pm
I've just filled out this questionnaire, taking the opportunity to question Southwark's credibility and trustworthiness in the comments box under each question.
Sunday 21 September 2014 6.07pm
So did I, and I hope other people do too.
Tuesday 30 September 2014 6.07pm
(apologies all, didn't want to start another thread about council housing)
southwark group of tenants organisations (sgto) are hosting a discussion on 25th october about what the future of aylesbury should be/future of council housing
should be a good one
http://t.co/X8MsyDRnQe

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: