Why so Far, the Crematorium

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 22 September 2014 7.29pm
I have a question, although out of borough, this could also apply to other boroughs as well. Maybe others have questioned this in their own borough, or even this one.

People I have known that passed away who lived in Dagenham have had to travel to Corbets Tey for cremation services. This is miles away from Dagenham, It comes under Havering and Dagenham comes under Barking and Dagenham. Which are two different districts, boroughs as well.

I dont understand why people have to travel so far to a crematorium? Is it the case there are not many around maybe? Or that covers the entire Essex area?

This question could apply to any areas, or maybe you or some one else has experienced or wondered the same.

Maybe some one knows the answer to this?
Monday 22 September 2014 7.57pm
My mother was creamated at the Honour Oak Crematorium (Camberwell New Cemetery, Brenchley Gardens, Camberwell, London, SE23 3RD).

It is just under 4 miles from her home in SE1 which isn't too bad.

I think the reason why there aren't any crematoriums in central London is down to the Cremation Act 1902. This stated that:

No crematorium built could be closer than fifty yards to any public highway, or in the consecrated area of a burial ground. It could not be built within two hundred yards of any dwelling house without the written consent of the owner, lessee and occupier, and the act was not to be interpreted to "authorise the burial authority or any person to create or permit a nuisance".

The sheer density of central London meant that crematoriums had to be build in outlying area of lower density.
Monday 22 September 2014 8.13pm
thanks for answer, my father in law was also at the same place Honor Oak as well. But he passed before I met my husband.

Corbets Tey from Dagenham it quite a long way and its in the middle of no where. For people with no transport its a !!! to get to, not even near any train station. I just think its not so fair on upset family to have to travel so far or struggle to get there.

But what you said now makes sense, they have to find places right out of the way to have them.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: