Charles Dickens Primary Expansion

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Friday 26 September 2014 10.35am
Emilie G wrote:
Thank you Edward, much appreciated :)

:) My pleasure
Friday 26 September 2014 11.21am
Everyone, please note the following which was posted on the CD school website.
Clearly, a large number of parents have expressed concerns over the plan to build on most of what is now the main playground (thereby in my view depriving the children of the one bigger space they have for free play).
However, the plan is still not available on the school website.

"Information Update Design Proposals for New Buildings

Thank you to all the parents who have already had a look at the proposals and given their feedback. If you have not seen the proposals, they are available on the school website . I would like to reassure parents that there will be no overall loss of playspace; the new hall will have a landscaped play and learning space on the roof the same space as below just one floor up from the ground, This new space will be designed to allow more outdoor learning as well as creative play such as den building, play construction, quiet reading and drawing areas and more opportunities to be involved in planting . These activities were voted most popular in pupil surveys and focus groups in July.

There will be a walkway between the new and old building the height of this walkway is anticipated to be 5.5m tall. The height of the new building, including canopy at the southwest end of the building, will be approximately 8.5m.

Posted on September 25, 2014. Read the full blog post here."
Thursday 16 October 2014 11.34am
Unfortunately we were unable to attend the consultation at the school on the 22nd September.

I emailed Susan Fuller [Susan.Fuller@southwark.gov.uk] with our concerns.
I didn't get a reply so a couple of weeks later sent a follow up email requesting one.
Almost three weeks later I received a cut and paste email that bore no relevance to the concerns we raised.

The email did state that there was a normal statutory planning application process with an opportunity to submit any comments to the planners.

Has anyone had any luck having questions / concerns / objections to the Charles Dickens School playground development proposal?

I'm concerned as the area proposed for development has already been fenced off and has work going on but there seems to have ben little or no chance for public consultation.
Tuesday 18 November 2014 7.00pm
Apologies for entering the discussion at such late stage.

I have concerns that as a neighbour I will be affected by noise and probably dust.

I attended the meeting at the school and would like to add following comments to what other people stated above:
- In my understanding the construction will take longer than just some months. I was told that the works will start early 2015 with the aim of completing them for the summer intake 2016. That means 15 months or so in contrast to what other people stated above but I might be mistaken.
- What surprised me at the meeting (which was also a presentation to the neighbours in the end) was that the architect was very focussed on design and colour. On striking example was that nobody was able to answer a question somebody asked about the size and height of the annexe. As they could not find dimensions on the floorplans the reply was "as high as the ceiling of this room plus two metres".
- I also missed statements about the logistics of the works. I would expect that every day a number of lorries will use the surrounding streets which are very small. That will impact traffic and also residents other than direct neighbours.

In all honesty I am realistic and think the works will be carried out anyway. The planned changes to the curriculum seem to be set in stone and the expansion is a direct consequence. I just hope that regulation will be adhered to and I won't have a 24-hour building site in front of my window.
Sunday 23 November 2014 8.02am
You can write to the council at this email address

planning.consultation@southwark.gov.uk

stating this planning application number in your email/letter - 14-AP-4251.

The planning consultation closes on the 11th December 2014.
Monday 24 November 2014 4.27pm
Thanks for clarification. In the meantime I received the official notification from the council.

Interestingly it speaks about a "two storey hall" so I will have to see whether there are new plans available that show the exact height.
Monday 24 November 2014 11.01pm
Ask the school?

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 8 February 2015 11.57am
I see that the planning application was approved this week by officers under delegated powers.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 11 March 2015 11.53pm
Hi there all

I too must apologise for not helping coordinate this better.

I regretfully could not make the initial consultation on 22 September and so contacted David Noakes, Adele Morris and Maria Linforth-Hall requesting that they take action on behalf of the 'local' residents in objecting to the plans.

Unfortunately I was distracted until early February in a tribunal case; and upon revisiting the enquiry with the aforementioned councillors I was informed that the plans had been accepted without a planning committee (delegated officer approved).

In order to make this application go to planning committee we had to "call in" the complaint which makes the councillors object to the planning dept and the case is put to a committee rather than signed off by the delegate.

I have queried why the case was not put forward after contacting three councillors and was informed that they inadvertently missed the opportunity - but more surprising is that no-one else had raised a complaint - according to David Noakes - so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that did formally complain so that I can put him right on that.

Regards

mark_corrigan@hotmail.com
Saturday 11 July 2015 8.05am
Well, I gather that the works are starting right now then. Was (along with all my neighbours) rudely awoken with the shouty skip driver (and caretaker?) banging the chains against metal at just before 7.30am today as they noisily dumped the first skip off.
This, is going to be the same set of building works noise issues as they have been subjecting us to every year since they 'stole away' lant street.
Argh!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: