Southwark's Scorched Policy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 27 September 2014 10.16pm
FELLOW LOCALS! I CHALLENGE YOU!!!
That's right, my long-suffering neighbours, I have a challenge for you all!
Yes! we ALL have tales of woe, injustice, intellectual castration and sheer, bloody-minded stroke-inducing maltreatment at the hands of our local authority (Southwark Council) but I believe I can both shatter and set a few records here; making your complaints look as if you live in the security of Westminster, and not here in the glowing Borough of Southwark where everyone is happy! (98%)
Now, we'll all have gripes about repairs (but how's this for a record: it took TWELVE YEARS[b][/b] to have my windows repaired! Yet despite the demoralizing frustration at just how insignificant and worthless you are, that's nothing compared to what has occurred this week.
Dear Reader, at this point you are warned not to continue if you are a human being, as what follows is shocking and may cause distress and extreme discomfort!!!

On Monday 22nd September at approximately 08.45am my naked wife and I, still slumbering cosily and, what we thought, safely, after celebrating my birthday the evening before, were woken by a man in a hi-viz jacket wielding what looked like a machete, not two feet from our heads. Separated only by the glass of our window we were absolutely terrified at such a violation. Instantly, I sprang from the bed and into the 'garden area' of our ground-floor flat. "What are you doing?!" I yelled. "Who are you!? Why are you on my property?! Why are you destroying my property!?!"
Now then - and, bear in mind, I want you to eclipse this story - without any prior consultation to their works whatsoever; without any information, query, or warning, these people simply climbed over the wall to my garden area and, as well as willfully killing the flowering plants, hacked to death a jasmine tree that I had planted as a 'cutting' some 17 years ago and was enjoyed by all my local neighbours.
I'm told that this was done for 'access and safety' for scaffolding. However (photos to follow if you wish), they have left and maintained both of my neighbours trees, vines and plants, built the scaffold and lovingly replaced their satellite dishes.
For me, it's like rape. We all know that Southwark has some form of 'Scorched Earth' policy (according to my source at 160 Tooley Street) but, surely, a simple query from them could have left all parties happy instead of, as usual, us long suffering residents and tenants being walked all over by mere employees from other boroughs and 'carpet baggers' quaffing brandy on Pall Mall...
What say you, little people...?
Sunday 28 September 2014 8.20am
TL;DR
Sunday 28 September 2014 4.57pm
Shocking stuff. As I was reading your post ashamedbysouthwark I thought you were going to write "and then we woke up to find it was all a horrible dream" but you did not. I also thought " I must get a bottle of whatever he had for his birthday the night before" but this story exposes the feelings of sheer CONTEMPT our council has for the residents of this borough, doesn't it? A far cry from the film I watched on our CEO in Undercover Boss the other day, tearfully making her way around with council employees who were "making relationships" with residents. I think you should write to the producers of Undercover Boss and tell them your story. These producers love to get a bit of balance in their coverage.
Sunday 28 September 2014 9.19pm
Hi you two plucky typists and thanks for at least taking note of my own problems whilst obviously embroiled in your own. Cheers. However, 'Tolstoy', what does 'TL;DR' mean...? I don't suppose you could let myself and other novices know, could you, without, of course, breaking some kind of secret code that'll have MI6 agents sealing themselves into sports bags...?
And 'Jazzy Q'. Your word 'contempt[b][/b]' is perfectly used and observed. This is something that has had a massive impact on me, my state of mind and how I feel living in my own home. For instance, since Tuesday 23rd I haven't been able to sleep with a window open and, therefore, properly. My ground floor apartment is now fully exposed to any passing junkie or chancer - as opposed to partially concealed by foliage - and I just don't feel safe. I'm sure there's something in our tenancy agreement about 'enjoying' my dwelling.
Also, you would imagine the outcry if this were, say, someone's car! Let's say the local authorities wanted to resurface a side street. Perhaps two weeks before hand every local flat would be leafleted and signs would be erected along the road. Come the day, anyone parked would be towed away. Well, imagine none of this takes place and, that evening, you come home from work and, far from being towed, your car has been burnt out! You would go mental! It could never happen!
Come on, people! These people have destroyed my property. Help me, please. I mean, what sort of 'recompense' can I expect...?
Monday 29 September 2014 12.41am
Hi you two plucky typists and thanks for at least taking note of my own problems whilst obviously embroiled in your own. Cheers. However, 'Tolstoy', what does 'TL;DR' mean...? I don't suppose you could let myself and other novices know, could you, without, of course, breaking some kind of secret code that'll have MI6 agents sealing themselves into sports bags...?
And 'Jazzy Q'. Your word 'contempt[b][/b]' is perfectly used and observed. This is something that has had a massive impact on me, my state of mind and how I feel living in my own home. For instance, since Tuesday 23rd I haven't been able to sleep with a window open and, therefore, properly. My ground floor apartment is now fully exposed to any passing junkie or chancer - as opposed to partially concealed by foliage - and I just don't feel safe. I'm sure there's something in our tenancy agreement about 'enjoying' my dwelling.
Also, you would imagine the outcry if this were, say, someone's car! Let's say the local authorities wanted to resurface a side street. Perhaps two weeks before hand every local flat would be leafleted and signs would be erected along the road. Come the day, anyone parked would be towed away. Well, imagine none of this takes place and, that evening, you come home from work and, far from being towed, your car has been burnt out! You would go mental! It could never happen!
Come on, people! These people have destroyed my property. Help me, please. I mean, what sort of 'recompense' can I expect...?
Monday 29 September 2014 7.49am
Recompense ?
Claim on your insurance.
No insurance?
Sue the council.
Monday 29 September 2014 10.04am
TL;DR

I try to keep it snappy as forum's don't really handle lenghty text very well in a fast moving discussion or by the very nature of multiple threads.

Scanning a comment for it's substance leads to the TL;DR syndrome, where 'The builders have cut down my tree' makes the point! It was meant in jest however, so please don't be offended.
Monday 29 September 2014 10.23am
Personally, if this had happened to me, apart from feeling sad/angry about the jasmine tree, I'd be outraged at the violation. It's similar to when someone burgles your house - you eventually get over the loss of material items, but the violation of your property, where you and your family feel safe (I totally understand the use of the word "sanctity" in the context of a home) can be traumatic (it was to my mother) and there is no justification for it. What was the hi-viz guy's reaction? Did he justify their actions in any manner? At least apologise?
Monday 29 September 2014 12.24pm
It seems to me that the council have put there staff/ contractors in a potentially dangerous situation, not sure I would of been comforted by the fact that the machete wielding man had a hi vis vest on.
Monday 29 September 2014 2.06pm
Good thing this trespass didn't happen in Texas...

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: