Theatre Production seeks anecdotes about Blackfriars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 29 September 2014 9.32pm
Hi everyone,

I'm the Artistic Director of A Friend of a Friend Productions, we've been working on a new show that is inspired by life in Blackfriars. We've already spoken to some residents and people who work in the locals, but we want to reach out to more people.

What do you love about Blackfriars and SE1 in general?
Do you work here or live here?
Where pours the best pint or has your favourite lunch deal?
What worries you or excites you?

This is just a call for your thoughts and your experiences, anything from photos and recommendations to memories or things overheard.
We need your help to shape our characters and make sure that they bear a true representation of the concerns of the people of this area.

Check out the project: http://www.afriendofafriendproductions.org/blackfriarsstories/

We are about regularly, preparing for the run up to the show, so if you see us, please do say hi!

Cyclist, theatre lush and SE1 resident
www.afriendofafriendproductions.org
Tuesday 30 September 2014 10.57pm
I see one problem with your post; Blackfriars isn't in SE1. It's a rather wide river away in EC4.
Wednesday 1 October 2014 6.53pm
Boroughbloke, I believe it's Blackfriars Road, not just Blackfriars.
Wednesday 1 October 2014 8.06pm
boroughbloke wrote:
I see one problem with your post; Blackfriars isn't in SE1. It's a rather wide river away in EC4.

Interesting, what area would constitute the area of Blackfriars?
I've always viewed Blackfriars road as being Blackfriars, especially the north of it, the P.O. thinks so too, and the settlement.
Wednesday 1 October 2014 8.28pm
Certainly from Southwark Station northwards is called Blackfriars, and the old Ring Pub was always advertised as Blackfriars. Having said that, I've lived in Waterloo, Southbank, and Borough and Bankside and I haven't moved home!
Wednesday 1 October 2014 8.38pm
boroughonian wrote:
boroughbloke wrote:

Interesting, what area would constitute the area of Blackfriars?
I've always viewed Blackfriars road as being Blackfriars, especially the north of it, the P.O. thinks so too, and the settlement.

We're definitely thinking Blackfriars Road as the defining area, so that's the area south of the river down to Elephant and Castle.
Thursday 2 October 2014 9.22am
Whoa whoa ! just_sooz.
Elephant & Castle definitely isn't Blackfriars it has always been referred to as Newington and later as the shortened term "The Elephant" by locals and as Elephant and Castle by others.

Don't let Southwark Council fool you into thinking that there is something or an area called Blackfriars Mile. There is not. I believe the term was concocted by those shadowy backroom council employees who are friends of Land Lease.
To my mind KarenI and boroughnian have got it right.
Thursday 2 October 2014 9.42am
So does anyone have anything to share about life on and around Blackfriars Road? From the river to St George's Circus where it stems into E&C?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: