B&B and Walworth community council

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 30 September 2014 9.37am
I was at another meeting last night so couldn't attend, but was interested to read the last tweet from the community council:

"Residents right to be annoyed when they spent 2.5 hours at meeting then told they must submit comments in writing to council instead"

I have found the merged community council to be a bit of a waste of time, with very little real opportunity to really discuss issues affecting us. Walworth and B&B are very different areas and there are too many issues to reasonably discuss. I think it's too big an area to cover and while I totally understand why councils need to save money, if there is a genuine wish to consult then the community council needs to be reconsidered.
Tuesday 30 September 2014 10.48am
I was surprised to read that tweet but must agree with it,
and with what what you say Zoe.

The previous Community Council set up wasn't perfect, and it did become more about officers making presentations than meaningful consultation. The larger area has emphasised the problems, and there is not enough time for questions and comments from the public. The chairing by Martin Seation isn't good enough either and I doubt if I would waste my time at another such meeting.
Tuesday 30 September 2014 11.07am
Sorry to hear this, I passed by the meeting on my way home from work, making the decision to come straight home, having read some of the tweets from the meeting.

I chaired Peckham Community Council, (2 wards) and, the post-reform Bermondsey & Rotherhithe Community Council (6 wards). In Peckham we had many bright ideas, including funding what has become the internationally renown Peckham BMX team.
Post reform, trying to accommodate business and keeping it relevant was difficult, bordering on ridiculous.
Labour opposed their institution in 2002-3, and appear to have worked to undermine them, culminating in in the mergers. The opposition groups put forward many money saving ideas but were turned away.

The only Community Council that was not enlarged in the 2008 reforms was the one where the Leader and Deputy Leader sit, Camberwell Community Council (3 wards).

I have heard many stories about different chairs, some have short terms, others remain in post for years.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: