Mysterious flypast of Shard yesterday

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 1 October 2014 3.15pm
Yesterday (Tuesday) at about 3.30 pm, a tight formation of 4 huge black helicopters slowly passed the Shard at approx 500ft altitude. Sadly my phone took too long to go into camera mode so I didn't get a picture.

Does anyone know what was about?
Wednesday 1 October 2014 3.22pm
I assume they're Chinooks? They fly over London quite regularly, although it just occurred to me it seemed more frequent a few years ago. They usually follow the Thames.

Wednesday 1 October 2014 3.28pm
No they single-rotored, but very large. They had no markings, just painted black. No visible camera/weapon/searchlight fittings. And they flew in a very odd formation. I would have assumed it was a film being made, except I didn't see a camera helicopter following them.
Wednesday 1 October 2014 4.06pm
Then I don't know. Still RAF probably though.
Wednesday 1 October 2014 4.34pm
Aha, this must be it - RAF Pumas being handed over to the Royal Navy! http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/story/2014-09-30/merlins-handover-ceremony-at-raf-benson/
Friday 3 October 2014 12.41pm
I watched them fly past, all silent and spooky.
Friday 3 October 2014 1.36pm
Andrew H wrote:
I watched them fly past, all silent and spooky.

Depending on the weather, there can be something eerie about those Chinooks flying over as well, but I kind of like it for some weird reason. I guess it's because it reminds me of 1970's cold war movies, which I used to love.
Friday 3 October 2014 9.27pm
Chinooks are cool.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: