Social Cleansing in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10
Tuesday 7 October 2014 12.57pm
Thought this was worth posting:

I certainly feel the strain. I'm lucky to live where I live, but I couldn't afford any of the newbuilds in my neighbourhood (Linden, Barratt and what they're all called).
The closest like-for-like flat within budget would be somewhere in Hanwell...

Related news & features

Tuesday 7 October 2014 2.49pm
Interesting article..thanks.
Tuesday 7 October 2014 3.41pm
Sobering and quite terrifying
Thursday 9 October 2014 3.23pm
I found this article very helpful. I may have posted the link earlier this year, but it is still relevant, so here it is.
The property development in SE1 is about greed, and nothing to do with need.
Thursday 9 October 2014 6.30pm
To revive an old metaphor, we've sold the family silver and we're now having to sell off the grounds.
Saturday 18 October 2014 6.48pm
You may have picked up a copy of this spoof Evening Standard by the radical housing network, and of course, it features a well known housing estate in our very own Southwark. No prizes here for guessing which one.

Here is the link to the online version
Saturday 18 October 2014 6.59pm
some of us went and delivered 'people's compulsory purchase orders' to three southwark councillors on thursday :)
Saturday 18 October 2014 7.26pm
Had to laugh as I read about London's 1000 most influential people. One again, Southwark is mentioned and who else but our own Dear Leader

"Peter John
Southwark council, leader
The trained barrister presides skilfully over a Labour administration that has expansion at its heart. Southwark is seeing more development growth than any other council and fewer complaints than most administrations. Also has responsibility for children, young people, employment and skills on the city-wide London Councils group."

We have to do something about the "fewer complaints" then, I thought to myself.
Saturday 18 October 2014 7.42pm
Can you please explain to us what a 'people's compulsory purchase order' is and what you realistically expect to achieve by undertaking such stunts?

I didn't vote Labour - but I do not approve of the personal targeting and harassment of our democratically-elected representatives in this way - especially when they are building new Council homes - it's pretty shameful.
Saturday 18 October 2014 8.44pm
Have a look at this

There is something very wrong with what is happening all over London in relation to social cleansing and our disastrous housing situation.
Elected representatives seem to be in the thrall of developers, and not working in the interests of the people of Southwark.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: