Bike 'gate' on Trinity Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8
Thursday 9 October 2014 10.51am
There is a bike 'gate' on Trinity Street (near the church used by the LSO Orchestra) that splits the street in two, only cyclists and pedestrians can get through it. I dont live in Borough but I pass through this gate every day on my way to work.

I saw that the Trinity Newington Residents Assoc were having a meeting in response to a review by Southwark Council of the gate.

Does anyone know what is happening with this?

I hope the gate does not get removed. That street is nice and quiet in the mornings, and it is a pleasure to cycle down.

Related news & features

Thursday 9 October 2014 11.30am
Trinity Street is part of one of the Mayor of London's proposed Quietway back-street cycle routes, and the issue is that while the current layout of the gate successfully prevents motorbikes from getting past, it's not particularly easy to cycle through either (especially for those with bike trailers, tricycles etc).

So the idea is to widen the gap for bikes to pass through - but the fear of some residents is that this will lead to motorbikes using the route too.

Southwark Council is now handling the implementation of the section of the Greenwich to Waterloo Quietway on streets within the borough, but this is a project driven by City Hall rather than something spontaneously initiated by the council.

The idea is to make the street more cycle-friendly, not less.

Drawings etc here:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/3889/quietways_waterloo_to_greenwich_proposal_drawings

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 9 October 2014 3.47pm
James Hatts wrote:
Trinity Street is part of one of the Mayor of London's proposed Quietway back-street cycle routes, and the issue is that while the current layout of the gate successfully prevents motorbikes from getting past, it's not particularly easy to cycle through either (especially for those with bike trailers, tricycles etc).
So the idea is to widen the gap for bikes to pass through - but the fear of some residents is that this will lead to motorbikes using the route too.

Southwark Council is now handling the implementation of the section of the Greenwich to Waterloo Quietway on streets within the borough, but this is a project driven by City Hall rather than something spontaneously initiated by the council.

The idea is to make the street more cycle-friendly, not less.

Drawings etc here:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/3889/quietways_waterloo_to_greenwich_proposal_drawings

James - you're right about the original Quietway proposal - just to widen the offset in the gate by an extra 3 cm 'to comply with current cycling design guidelines'. (With the present gap only the nimblest pizza delivery mopeds manage to wriggle through - although at least it slows them down!)

However, the Council have now come up with a plan (discussed at a local Community Council meeting on 29 September) to replace the gate by a single row of bollards. This would continue to halt cars of course, but would certainly not stop motorcycles. There is a fear that this would encourage the revival of the old rat run by which motorcyclists (and formerly motorists) would use Trinity Street to avoid the junction at Great Dover Street/Borough High Street (hardly the point of a cycle 'quietway'). (It must be admitted that any motorcyclists trying this can only get into Trinity Street from Great Dover Street by riding across the pavement at the top of Falmouth Road.)

Personally I'd welcome a slight widening of the offset in the existing gates - I can never manage to steer my own bike through smoothly without putting one or both feet on the ground!
Thursday 9 October 2014 4.22pm
Is it really worth spending loads of money to uproot the gate and move it a few inches? Yes you have to slow down to get through it, it's no more of a delay than being stopped at a traffic light, and if it prohibits motorbikes using it, isnt it best off left as it is... ?
Friday 10 October 2014 4.28pm
It's on Trinity Street, there's no way that the local activists would permit it being reopened to motorised traffic. That's not a criticism, simply a reflection of a very effective local lobbying group.
Saturday 11 October 2014 2.27pm
Hi All

The council are proposing putting cameras on the bollards to catch motorcyclists. Cllr Maugham is involved with TNRA. I'm not sure where things currently stands. Maybe someone from TNRA could get in touch?

I'd like to see camera on the junction of Swan St/Great Dover St as motorcycles frequently speed down Swan St to cut out the same junction as they're seeking to avoid if they cut through the gate on Trinity St. A neighbour has even seen a car mount the pavement on the Swan St junction to avoid doing a U-turn and going back out via Trinity St.

There are definitely ways that the council could/should work with local residents to reduce rat runs in the area, at the same time as encouraging cycling.
Saturday 11 October 2014 4.53pm
James Hatts wrote:

I now cycle with a tricycle and mine at least gets through with no trouble... I've always find it a very manageable barrier.
Saturday 11 October 2014 5.04pm
I've never seen a motorbike go through there since the barrier was narrowed.
It's as easy and practically as quick to go via cole street...no need to go through the barrier.

If some cycles can't fit through the barrier then they can also use the same short diversion.

To spend money on widening this gate is bonkers, IMHO

...if you press it, they will come.
Saturday 11 October 2014 5.21pm
I agree with you!
Saturday 11 October 2014 6.02pm
The council's problem with suggesting an official detour is that they haven't consulted most of Cole St/Swan St so they'll have to do a further consultation. In this world of politics, no doubt it'll depend on how keen they are to get on with it.

I went to the TFL exhibition yesterday and they said they are still working on how the Quietway junction at Webber St will feed into Blackfrairs Road with its segregated lanes. So there is still "movement" going on with the Quietway plans.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: