Tall, glass buildings alert

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 9 October 2014 12.24pm
Allister Hayman reports that
Commuters and nearby office workers were left shocked after a large pane of glass fell several storeys onto the pavement below from an under construction central London office building this afternoon.

The pane of glass fell several storeys from Great Portland Estates’ (GPE) 240 Blackfriars office building, but fortunately no one was injured.

Toby Courtauld, GPE chief executive, confirmed there had been an incident and the Health and Safety Executive had been informed.

[quoted article snipped and link added - JH]

http://www.building.co.uk/news/pane-of-glass-falls-from-london-office-building/5071380.article
Thursday 9 October 2014 12.53pm
Please be sparing when copying and pasting articles from other websites, and preferably quote a short extract followed by a link.

I know the Building magazine website has an annoying paywall / registration system, but I get annoyed when material from this website is copied and pasted indiscriminately elsewhere, so I have to be tough when it happens the other way round.

Thanks.

(The full article can also be read via the Google cache)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 9 October 2014 1.28pm
Many apologies for the omission
Friday 10 October 2014 7.28pm
Heard today that panes of glass falling out of tall buildings is not unusual, and that something similar happened at The Shard, and Gherkin.
Lots of activity around 240 since it happened. Must be costing them a fortune to make it safe.
Friday 10 October 2014 8.11pm
JazzyQ wrote:
Heard today that panes of glass falling out of tall buildings is not unusual, and that something similar happened at The Shard, and Gherkin.
Lots of activity around 240 since it happened. Must be costing them a fortune to make it safe.

and the glass shopping precinct on Victoria St.

As an aside Jazzy, I was offered a job at 240 today, I was shocked to see that the start time was 7am, is there noise at that time?
Saturday 11 October 2014 10.50am
I am on the south facing side of QH, so I don't hear all the noise that those on the north facing side do.
I just saw a large pane of glass being wheeled along outside 240, and overheard some heated conversation on a mobile from a chap in a high vis outfit.
Neighbours here who know about the industry say that "all glazing in London was stopped for the day for safety checks and it cost contractors thousands for the stoppage. I find this very worrying"

If 240 is dropping to bits now, how long will it last as a building once it is in use?
Secondly, who will be mad enough to buy the attached flats once they know about this?
Saturday 11 October 2014 12.27pm
I worked with the man ( well he was my manager) who carried the can for the Gherkin window episode, he was only the maintenance manager there, but a head had to roll and it was his. Yet again, the work had been signed and accepted, it would appear, without inspection.
Saturday 11 October 2014 2.09pm
15.00 hours on Saturday October 11th and a resident whose flat is north facing tells me "It is awful at the front. Thoroughly miserable. About to go out to escape"

Scaffolders have been carrying out noisy works for over six and a half hours, screaming, shouting, swearing and slinging scaffolding poles and planks. Emergency work was supposed to be taking place on Tuesday,understandably,but this is the weekend and residents at QH were not told about this disruption. Just told that it was happening by email. No word either from GPE or Mace about what is being done to ensure no more glass panes fall from the building. QH residents are concerned about their safety.
Wednesday 15 October 2014 4.12pm
News update on the falling pane of glass at 240 Blackfriars. It was shatterproof so would not have chopped you up into "sushi" as previously discussed, but squashed you flat as in a Tom and Jerry cartoon. Comforting thought?
A very expensive "skirt" is now going up around the building whilst investigations continue into the batch of panes (yes, batch) and why this one from the batch fell out.
So, watch your heads as you stroll up and down the Boulevard de Beaux Freres de Pinot Noir.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: