Ingredients enquiry

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 11 October 2014 5.09pm
Having a mad feeling of normality, is there anywhere I can buy Arabic gum, also known as mastic and sumac? It would be great if there was somewhere near to new Kent road. Feel desire to cook! Sumac is a separate thing...thank you..
Saturday 11 October 2014 7.01pm
There's the big Old Kent Food centre with the rotisserie out front, at 252 Old Kent Road between Lidl and Tesco. They have loads of Middle Eastern ingredients.
Saturday 11 October 2014 8.40pm
They sell the powdered variety in Baldwins.
Saturday 11 October 2014 10.51pm
what do you do with it? (i'd not even heard of it before :S)
Sunday 12 October 2014 7.55am
I always thought it was the substance that made wine gums and jellybabies chewy.
Sunday 12 October 2014 9.24pm
I'm sure I used arabic gum as a setting agent when painting with mica powders!
Sunday 12 October 2014 9.54pm
Baldwins not only sells the powdered variety, but also the more traditional version too (mastic gum, far superior). The two are not quite the same thing.

Arabic Gum is often used by the pharmaceutical industry as an excipient in the manufacture of various drugs.
Monday 13 October 2014 7.56am
I'm not going out in the rain to find out - but St. James Supermarket on the crossroads of St. James Road and Southwark Park Road - Down The Blue! - has a great range of Mid eastern products including Sumac, and could well have what you are looking for. No connection etc.
Monday 13 October 2014 9.29am
thank you everyone...I have been given a book written by Nadia Sawalha called the 'greedy girls diet!' I want to try and make chicken shahwarma and the mastic was one of the ingredients.. Sumac apparently is a mixture of spices..reading on now will search for pomegranite syrup..and rosewater..in the vain hope I will be able to use them..
Monday 13 October 2014 10.09am
You can get rosewater in Persepolis on Peckham High St.
http://foratasteofpersia.co.uk/
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: