Self-harm: local volunteers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 13 October 2014 12.14pm
Hello - I am a lecturer and researcher at King's College London, based at the Waterloo Campus, and am looking for local residents who might be able to help me with a research study about self-harm. (SCARS - Self-harm Cessation and Recovery Study)

I am looking for people who have either cut themselves or harmed themselves in some other way in their past who would be willing to be interviewed about the process of stopping. I am particularly interested in people who managed to stop or who no longer harm themselves who did not receive treatment for their self-harm.

The study has been approved by The University of Westminster Ethics Committee and would involve an interview in Waterloo or at Guy's that would take about 1.5 to 2 hours. There is no obligation to take part and you are of course welcome to change your mind.

If you think you might be interested and would like to know more, you can PM me or email me on

Many thanks - Ian
Tuesday 14 October 2014 12.01pm
Just wanted to say thank you to the folk who have contacted me already - this is a great help.

It is extraordinary just how many people experience self-harm at some point in their lives and we certainly haven't got it right yet in mental health and primary care services in terms of supporting and helping people to manage the distress that often precedes or is associated with self-harm.

Here is hoping that with your expertise we can begin to shape things better.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: