Aga Khan's plans

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 3 May 2002 5.46pm

The Aga Khan's plans for the south bank of the river sound great. There are few enough public spaces in that part of the river, and very few Islamic resources in central London. Good luck to him.
Friday 3 May 2002 8.05pm
please enlighten
Snooky
Monday 6 May 2002 7.23pm
its next to St. Thoma's and should be linked to the hospital and its needs. we don't need yet another rich 'Islamic' orientated place shoving yet another 'religion' down our throats - and that goes for all those religions out there (I'm agnostic). Let the place be mixed with medical learning facilities and also as temporary accomodation for those who have someone receiving treatment at the hospital who need to be in immediate proximity and are from low income or not within easy commuting distance.
Jan
Tuesday 7 May 2002 5.51am
Snooky I'm not agnostic, not quite sure what I am in fact! ...but I agree with you more or less, apart from the medical learning facilities bit as I thought that was why they demolished most of Guys hosp. ( and of course our much lamented Casualty Dept.).

Apart from overnight accommodation they should have rest lounges for the poor old souls or the badly disabled who travel long distances by the transport department of the hospital, and have to wait often in wheelchairs for many hours for the return journey.

No drinks or toilets comfy chairs available. There should be a department solely caring for people in these circumstances. When your in a wheelchair, infirm through age getting to the public toilets is a nightmare and there are no nursing staff in the transport waiting area.....
Tuesday 7 May 2002 9.20am
if the consultants are willing to chain themselves to the railings of the hospital then that should tell us something about the situation.

450 million pounds ( or was it 700 ) ?? to rebuild wembley ? give me a break please
Tuesday 7 May 2002 11.39am
Of course we need to rebuild and refurbish our medical facilities, but why does it have to be on a prime site on the Thames?

This site is opposite the Houses of Parliament. Building an Islamic centre here would be a great statement of peaceful co-existence between the UK and the Islamic nations.

The Aga Khan's offer to purchase the site is a very generous one, and the money can be put towards the cost of building more medical and educational facilities.
Wednesday 8 May 2002 4.13pm
there are already 100's of islamic places of worship in the uk, this is a multicultural society and there must be times when the answer is no, how many catholic churches are there in the middle east ? more to the point how many would be left standing if built ?

the point being is as many people are immigrants they cannot say that this government has not supported them and the tolerance levels are high here but we have greater needs that more islamic monuments.

if the Aga Khan wants to be generous he can donate a couple of throughbreds to the NHS without imposing his faith.
Friday 17 May 2002 9.09pm
Cant they share with Lambeth Palace?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: