Birthday party advice

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 16 October 2014 10.35pm
Hello, I am looking for recommendations and advice... I'm organising a 40th birthday party for early November and looking through the forum I found some related threads, however they tend to be a few years old and so many things change in this time!

We will be a smallish group of 20-30 people. Looking for something close to underground links, safe around and nicely styled inside. Initially my idea was to hire a room and bring own drinks and catering (canapes style) but I am not sure whether it will be economical with this size group. It also seems to involve a lot more hassle! Then another option of course is to hire a room in a restaurant/bar. People may want to dance later but it will be only a handful of guests I reckon, so it doesn't matter if we have to travel somewhere for that. I am looking to spend up to 25 per person all in.

I would really appreciate fellow SE1-ers sharing similar experiences re the place and what option worked for you. Thanks!
Thursday 16 October 2014 10.57pm
Just wanted to add I am looking for something a bit more quirky/trendy than a traditional pub or community function room... Most of the guests will be in a similar age bracket (yawn :)
Friday 17 October 2014 2.17pm
Hi Natalia,

How about the recently opened - former public toilets - Bermondsey Arts Club, 102A Tower Bridge Road? I've not been but know one person who has been there on a night out and another who has been several times and both talked highly of it.

I have no idea if they do hiring out and I know it's not on the doorstep of a tube stop (although, having just Mapsed it, you can get a bus from either Borough or Bermondsey tube station and be there in 10 min) but I think it hits the quirky/trendy mark! :)

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/182011
http://bermondseyartsclub.co.uk

Good luck!
Friday 17 October 2014 3.14pm
I don't know what sort of drinks spend you might be anticipating but the upstairs room at the Horse was good for a birthday event - tho they do of course sell the drinks - no hire fee if you're going to spend enough tho...
Sunday 19 October 2014 10.36am
The Menier Chocolate Factory has a function room. Am looking to hire it for my 40th as well.
Monday 20 October 2014 10.16pm
Thank you all very much for the responses. So far haven't found availability for the date (and no response from a couple recommended ones :( but will try the Chocolate factory. Happy 40th jcpse1!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: