Guildford vs Kingston?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 18 October 2014 11.36pm
Hi!

Okay, so obviously Kingston/Guildford are Greater London but this was the most suitable forum I could find. Doing a tour of the South-East next year and was wondering which of the two towns is more picturesque? Better shopping? Restaurants? Things to do?

Thanks
Saturday 18 October 2014 11.57pm
Kingston and Guildford seem a wee bit far to be asking central londoners for advice. (Though maybe I just don't leave the centre often enough!)

From what I do know however, the river is quite nice over by Kingston. There's a large shopping centre there too, along the high street. They seem to have every kind of shop I'd ever need down there and the (mostly food)market is quite nice too!
Don't know about restaurants cause I don't tend to eat when over there.

All that I remember of Guildford is that it seemed rather grey.
Sunday 19 October 2014 11.05am
Guildford is not in Greater London, but is a bit picturesque in parts. I worked in Kingston for years an can tell you that there is almost nothing picturesque about the place. It's just another dull London suburb,full of chain stores and the like. To understand quite how dull it is, you need only to know that it is frequently swamped by market researchers, who consider it just about the most average of average places in London. Richmond is nicer, but not by much.
Sunday 19 October 2014 12.19pm
IMHO Guildford is better by a country mile!

I used to live in Kingston and went there twice last week - hardly any redeeming features for a visit unless you head over the border to Richmond/Twickenham.

Visited G several times this year. Guildford is posh, picturesque, with countryside just outside it (ok there is a nasty main road running through it too)
Sunday 19 October 2014 2.53pm
Kingston: nice river front (but not a patch on Richmond) - handy for Hampton Court - all the usual shops - rather like Croydon.

Guildford: not in Greater London - it's in Surrey, and proud of it.

A castle and historic buildings (but not the cathedral - that's modelled on Bankside power station) - town centre pedestrianised - nice riverside walks along the Wey - Lewis Carroll connections.

Very wealthy town, and it shows - posh shops - plenty of restaurants (I don't know if they're good, they're outside my price range).

And 35 minutes by train from Waterloo.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: