Free Bermondsey lamp-post school

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 21 October 2014 8.52am
Just found out we had one in the 70's above a sub-post office according to my daughter, but cant for the life of me think where it was? does anyone else know?
Tuesday 21 October 2014 10.26am
Never heard of it so I googled.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSpFyQlzEqA

Edit: actually, we used to go to Charterhouse boys club in Crosby Row and I'm sure I remember it being used for something like this during the day, it would've been after the premises above the sub post office, mid to late 70s.
Tuesday 21 October 2014 11.33am
Fascinating. I'd like to know how the kids and teachers turned out. The same complaints about the lack of time for pupils, has anything really changed?
Tuesday 21 October 2014 1.19pm
Referenced in this BBC news article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29518319

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 21 October 2014 3.00pm
above the old sub post office in bermondsey street corner it looks like..will watch more..
Tuesday 21 October 2014 3.20pm
Great research, boroughonian: love that film!

Today the BBC News website posted in its magazine section a very interesting piece on free schools during the 1970s and the Bermondsey Lamp Post is mentioned among other institutions: well worth a read.

The story title, for anyone interested in looking it up is:

The anarchic experimental schools of the 1970s

By Tom de Castella
Tuesday 21 October 2014 4.24pm
It's the article I linked to above, Jules. An interesting read, and news to me.

Tuesday 21 October 2014 8.55pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
It's the article I linked to above, Jules. An interesting read, and news to me.

Yeah: I only noticed your post after I had made mine: sorry...
Wednesday 22 October 2014 7.14am
No worries. I was only saying for others' benefit.

Wonder what I'd have made of a free school when I was young? I suspect I benefited from having at least some discipline/framework, but you never know....

Wednesday 22 October 2014 9.30am
That film nearly broke my heart! Amazing. Lois Acton, the teacher in the film, remains active today around education and culture particularly as it relates to communities and young people.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: