Traffic on Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 25 October 2014 2.20pm
Growing traffic levels seem to be a problem on many roads in SE1 but I'm particularly concerned right now about the Eastern end of Long Lane, as it approaches Tower Bridge Road (junction). The traffic is bad throughout the week and nowadays on Saturday too. Is there a particular reason that anyone knows of why it should be so bad at the moment. Is it for instance, to do with the London Bridge development and accompanying road closures. Or, is it just a natural build up as London gets bigger and busier.
Saturday 25 October 2014 3.32pm
This year I gave up driving in London completely and took 100% to the cycle. cycling down long lane/abbey st to join Jamaica Rd last night it was total gridlock. I thought 'you have to be either very unlucky or totally insane to drive in London....
Sunday 26 October 2014 5.05pm
There's been a huge amount of development east of there in Bermondsey, so presumably a lot more people leading to a lot more deliveries etc?
Sunday 26 October 2014 11.37pm
peterroe wrote:
Growing traffic levels seem to be a problem on many roads in SE1 but I'm particularly concerned right now about the Eastern end of Long Lane, as it approaches Tower Bridge Road (junction). The traffic is bad throughout the week and nowadays on Saturday too. Is there a particular reason that anyone knows of why it should be so bad at the moment. Is it for instance, to do with the London Bridge development and accompanying road closures. Or, is it just a natural build up as London gets bigger and busier.
I noticed today that TBR itself heading south was particularly busy for a Sunday afternoon, and it impacted roads leading to it - Abbey Street & Grange Road heading west. I suspect that Long Lane/Abbey Street heading east were due to same problem. Hard to say if it was solely the London Bridge development which was forcing more cars onto Tower Bridge but it might be one reason, I guess.
Monday 27 October 2014 9.33am
Yesterday's traffic mayhem in the entire area was almost entirely due to the closure of New kent Road for major works to remove a footbridge. It caused huge traffic problems in the whole area expanding outwards from Elephant and Castle with enormous traffic jams and lots of people looking for ways to bypass or escape the problems.
Monday 27 October 2014 10.08am
I did think why BHS looked like Monday rush hour at 6pm last night!!!
Thursday 30 October 2014 11.32pm
For me it's not just the congestion/gridlock but increasing level of traffic early in the mornings. More and more vehicles seem to be using back streets like Tanner Street and Leathermarket Street as a cut-through between Long Lane and Tower Bridge Road (and vice versa).
Friday 31 October 2014 2.29pm
MR MC wrote:
For me it's not just the congestion/gridlock but increasing level of traffic early in the mornings. More and more vehicles seem to be using back streets like Tanner Street and Leathermarket Street as a cut-through between Long Lane and Tower Bridge Road (and vice versa).

Yes over the years as road works and redevelopment have come and gone more and more traffic has found its way through these back streets. Tanner Street is the problem....its the first right turn from Tower Bridge Road as you travel south.
Monday 3 November 2014 10.22am
on a sunday the amount of cars parking along by Long Lane playground has also caused problems- a couple of weeks ago a car had to mount the pavement to get through
Tuesday 4 November 2014 1.48pm
With the increasing population, there will inevitably be more traffic all across Southwark. Unless of course you are priviledged enough to live in Trinity Street, in which case you get to live in traffic-free bliss. Come on Trinity Street residents, share the burden. Tear down the gates!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: