Pedestrian congestion on Tower Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Saturday 25 October 2014 4.17pm
Anyone else on Tower Bridge this afternoon? Never seen crowds like it. People walking 2 deep OUTSIDE the railings next to the traffic. Steps with huge queues at both ends. Took 7 min to move slowly across the middle section. People and drivers being very sensible. But this is late October. What will next summer be like?
Saturday 25 October 2014 5.43pm
Poppies in the Tower??
Sunday 26 October 2014 8.22am
And if you haven't seen them yet do go. A shaft of sun makes them even more stunning. Thought provoking indeed.
Monday 27 October 2014 1.45pm
Funnily enough I was going to post this same thing, Tower Bridge was incredibly busy Saturday with lots of congestion around the steps up to the bridge. Presume it was extra people going to see the Poppies as that was very busy. Don't think a car breaking down in the middle of the bridge helped.

Wednesday 29 October 2014 4.36pm
It's all very well living next to a tourist attraction, but if the crowds at the attraction delay or block your journey to the tube etc, it all becomes rather tiresome.
Wednesday 29 October 2014 5.31pm
stxmld wrote:
It's all very well living next to a tourist attraction, but if the crowds at the attraction delay or block your journey to the tube etc, it all becomes rather tiresome.

Tiresome maybe, but I suppose anyone living near a tourist attraction generally moved in after it became a tourist attraction, so have no right to complain.
Wednesday 29 October 2014 8.00pm
The pedestrian congestion on the Bridge really is a nightmare at the moment, and a danger to cyclists trying to cross the bridge, but the Poppy installation is jolly good and a wonderful remembrance ceremony.

I haven't been in about a month but I was there in the early evening.
A beefeater on the West side of the Tower was reading out the names of the fallen and their regiments and then a trumpeter played the Last Post.
It was very moving.

That arsehole in the Guardian today should be ashamed of himself, he clearly hadn't bothered to go and see that bit before slagging the whole thing off.
Wednesday 29 October 2014 8.04pm
It would really help if the bridge's pavements were temporarily declared one way so you crossed from North to South on one side and the other way on the other but that would probably be too organized.
Wednesday 29 October 2014 9.31pm
Davies wrote:
The pedestrian congestion on the Bridge really is a nightmare at the moment, and a danger to cyclists trying to cross the bridge, but the Poppy installation is jolly good and a wonderful remembrance ceremony.
I haven't been in about a month but I was there in the early evening.
A beefeater on the West side of the Tower was reading out the names of the fallen and their regiments and then a trumpeter played the Last Post.
It was very moving.

That arsehole in the Guardian today should be ashamed of himself, he clearly hadn't bothered to go and see that bit before slagging the whole thing off.

Re The Guardian article: I agree, what a malicious, arrogant and patronising article. I went to see the poppies right at the start of the project and I was moved by it. I think it's great so many people go and see it, at least it's relevant and respectful, unlike the London Dungeon and all that rubbish.
Wednesday 29 October 2014 9.53pm
Well the London Dungeon is for entertainment, not anything serious.

I wouldn't normally go to that sort of thing but someone gave me a free ticket to the Dungeon this summer and I have to say I thought it was really good and I enjoyed it tremendously. Not at all what I expected.

A totally different thing to the Poppy Remembrance ceremony at the Tower though which is very well done and with a serious purpose.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: