Hoxton hotel

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 25 October 2014 9.51pm
It would be good if this development constrained the pub which has been creeping across the pavement with plants and seating so you can hardly walk down the pavement. The Southwark authorities should have a look at it.

Related news & features

Sunday 26 October 2014 7.37pm
Don't worry - the pub will be demolished. Another local business destroyed for a hotel and offices. As if we don't have enough of those already. Soon - nothing but offices, hotels, student accommodation and luxury flats. No real Londoners left. Exactly what Southwark Council wants.
Monday 27 October 2014 8.32pm
Well yes, because the aim of the council is to be 'united to serve' themselves which includes pensions and homes. So to gain 'hundreds of millions' to plug all kinds of gaps the resettlement of Londoners elsewhere is going to speed up. They will listen and then deceive. And Southwark's current priority is 'jobs' and Hotels bring jobs filled by errr...
Thursday 29 January 2015 10.05am
Thursday 29 January 2015 12.42pm
They can fill the gaps with Tesco convenience stores and loads of other shite that no one wants
Thursday 29 January 2015 1.47pm
Blackfriars Road always strikes me as a grand boulevard, sadly lacking the commercial outlets one would expect on a main road leading to a bridge: except for the area in the vicinity of The Cut there isn't much.

Hopefully this development will encourage other businesses to give Blackfriars Road a chance.
Thursday 29 January 2015 5.33pm
I think Southwark shares your view, Jules... this blog http://blackfriarspreservationsociety.tumblr.com/has been looking into the new proposed Southwark plan, and these are their observations on Blackfriars Rd.:

Blackfriars preservation society wrote:
The new Southwark Plan is being consulted on.

This is what says about Blackfriars Road:

Blackfriars Road
Blackfriars Road will be transformed into a lively, historic boulevard linking central London and the River Thames to the Elephant and Castle. It will offer a mix of new homes, offices, services and shops catering for both a local and wider need.
Opportunities to provide new flexible business space will help consolidate and expand the existing business services cluster and reinforce the area as a strategic office and employment location.
Blackfriars Road will be a destination for arts, leisure, entertainment, community facilities, children’s play areas, health facilities and higher education. This will benefit local residents and help link Blackfriars Road to the vibrant cultural facilities on offer along the South Bank, The Cut and at Waterloo.
There will be a range of building heights along Blackfriars Road, with the tallest buildings at the north end. Development will be of exceptional design and will enhance the local character, sustain and enhance the historic environment and improve existing open spaces. Working with Transport for London, the road itself will be designed to be safer, easier and more enjoyable for pedestrians and cyclists, whilst ensuring the needs of all users are met safely, managing the demands of buses, freight, pedestrians and cyclists. There will be improved links and new public realm.

"Blackfriars Road will be transformed into a lively, historic boulevard"

How can something be transformed into a ‘historic’ place? Either it has heritage buildings - or it doesn’t. The majority of remaining heritage buildings on Blackfriars Road were knocked down between 2012 and 2014.

"Blackfriars Road will be a destination for arts, leisure, entertainment, community facilities, children’s play areas, health facilities and higher education."

Currently, apart from Christ Church Southwark, there are no arts, leisure, entertainment, children’s play areas, health facilities or higher education facilities anywhere on Blackfriars Road. And in the planning pipeline are only large-scale hotels (Hoxton Hotel - the construction of which will displace the amazing Kids Company charity), offices, flats (1 Blackfriars, Linden Homes, Barratt) and franchise coffee outlets (Costa, the third to open in a year).

Is this sentence a complete nonsense - or are there actual ambitions for these social and cultural community services to come to Blackfriars Road, if so, where and when?

Very valid questions :) Not sure if whoever writes the blog is here also?
Thursday 29 January 2015 9.27pm
It looks as if there is still a pub there. So it will still be impossible to walk down Colombo Street on the pavement as the trees in pots are moved across the pavement.
Thursday 29 January 2015 9.45pm
I would assume it will be very different to the current arrangement, as all the buildings will be demolished. Don't think it will be a pub for us, but a posh place for the hotel customers
Thursday 29 January 2015 10.37pm
Thank you for posting that snippet Nelson, saved me looking for it. I note that 'the tallest buildings will be at the north end' of Blackfriars Road has already been dismissed if the Barratts Tower near the Obelisk is going to be 24 floors high. I hate all that 'corporate' rubbish the council and planners write in their documentation, it just distracts from what is really going to happen. I know this is the point, but it is very insulting.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: