Just moved - suggestions

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 30 October 2014 8.40am
Morning!

My partner and I have just moved to The Circle this week. We are looking forward to discover the area and I was wondering if you could give us some recommendations of what to do, where to go... anything you love about SE1.

Thanks!!
Thursday 30 October 2014 9.41am
Recommend: exploring on foot - there are new things opening all the time and walking around is a great way to uncover new gems. Almost too many specific things to list but should include: Southwark Playhouse, Menier Chocolate Factory, Tate Modern (& the bar in Tate Modern), restaurants so much choice ...and the opportunity to enjoy being a tourist on your own doorstep...
Of course this forum is a great source of recommendations and hints from other people - invaluable!
Thursday 30 October 2014 9.53am
Thanks Sophie! We are Spanish and we have been living in Hammersmith for a couple of years. We wanted to move because we wanted that feeling you are talking about. Knowing that you live in a place where you always feel like a tourist!! I was walking home the other day by the riverside and everything was so beautiful! I hope this feeling doesn't go away and I never stop being wondered of the beauty of the area!
Friday 31 October 2014 12.46am
Keep walking along the river, it is wonderful.
There are some lovely pubs too.
The further you go towards Dartford the more interesting it gets.
Friday 31 October 2014 8.19pm
we like to walk along the river by rotherhithe and also go across to wapping for the pubs on a sunday. the maltby street market is good and I love southwark park. its also great swinging by borough late on a saturday to pick up cheaper items as people are shutting. Going to tate late on a saturday night and walking past the busker who sings louie armstrong in a fabulous voice, eating pancakes by the river, sushi at wawa, the 6.30pm special at antico, the rooftop cafe by the shard, going to films at shortwave, the white cube, john harvard library, boats down to greenwich, walking to the east end for bagels and curry, seeing the marathon runners in april. Tutting at tourists in the way on tower bridge but never not getting tingle down your spine when you cross it.The lady who leans out at the guinness buildings every monring to shout hello, the friendly lolly pop man on webber street, crystal dry cleaners on tower bridge road, the framers, the dutch bike shop and tower bridge electrics (who stock everything), angelo the electrician, kardos barbers, bermondsey community hall, seeing the tibetan monks walk around the park on spa road. Yeah its alright round here. Welcome!
Friday 31 October 2014 9.16pm
Davies wrote:
Keep walking along the river, it is wonderful.
There are some lovely pubs too.
The further you go towards Dartford the more interesting it gets.

This, plus do go into the Festival Hall, a not very well hidden gem.
Saturday 1 November 2014 8.33am
Wow! Thanks everyone! Specially Julia, so many nice things!! So happy I moved, I'm loving the area
Sunday 2 November 2014 9.50am
Welcome to Shad Thames!

Have you heard about STAMP (Shad Thames Area Management Partnership)? Check out their website www.loveshadthames.org where you can sign up to their newsletter and find out what's going on locally. You can also follow them on Twitter @loveshadthames
Sunday 2 November 2014 11.58am
Welcome to The Circle, neighbour. Start by heading up onto the roof, to take in the amazing panorama from Canary Wharf all the way round to the Eye. It's especially worth doing this coming weekend, as you'll feel like you have your very own surround-sound fireworks display next Friday and Saturday.

Then, there are so many things on your doorstep to love. Maltby Street and Bermondsey Square food markets on a Saturday morning, great restaurants like Zucca, Magdalen, Pizarro, Butler's Wharf Chop House, Blueprint, Applebees (we once worked out we could do a different restaurant every night for a month, within a fifteen minute walk - if we had the money!).

In Summer, there's so much to do and see along the Southbank, that you'll find something different every time you go. The summer months along the river are fantastic, culminating in the Mayor's fireworks in September.

Then, the walks, from Autumn to Spring. Along Wapping on a Sunday, trips to see arts and culture at Festival Hall, Oxo Tower Gallery, Eames Gallery, Shortwave Cinema or Tate Modern, even just the loop around London and Tower Bridge, especially to see the poppies at the moment. Sitting in St Katherine's Dock with a coffee, sitting in Potters Fields on a sunny day with the papers, listening to the world's accents float by.

The novelty of seeing people wowed by Tower Bridge - right at the end of your road - still inspires me, even after living in The Circle for eight years. I hope you enjoy your time here just as much.
Monday 3 November 2014 9.13am
All the above is true.
Have a look at Downings Rd Moorings (by the Design Museum). They are open for Open Gardens Sunday - check out the amazing garden walkways and beautiful boats.
Also try John Constable's wonderful walks round Southwark. He's a very interesting man and what he doesn't know about the deep history of the area isn't worth knowing. He does about five different walks - often advertised via SE1 direct
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: