Churchyard Row closure - CS7 diversion

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 30 October 2014 1.34pm
There's a plan to divert the nice segregated bit of CS7 through a park with what seems like very little or no mitigation work, doc attached, agreed without consultation with anyone so far as I can tell... This will cover the same period as the rebuild of elephant roundabout, so a mighty mess for cycling.

Whatever the views on cycling, I think we are all agreed that more mixed use with pedestrians is not what we want - it causes upset and concern - and it is a terrible precedent to close the one good bit of CS7 to facilitate more HGVs.

Mace's document here
Friday 31 October 2014 11.10am
Jamesup - how did you hear about this?
I live further up the CS7 on Southwark Bridge Road but use that bit regularly.
My main concern as well as safety of mixing with pedestrians (and children, dogs etc who are in the park) is safety of cyclists.
The CS3 that goes out to Canary Wharf has a similar bit through a park. Only for a short distance, but at night, it's not the safest place, with kids sat on benches smoking weed and groups of hooded youth lurking in shadows. I'm not saying I assume they're all upto no good, but for solo cyclists (especially female or young) its going to be a bit scary going through a dark park at night. Even now when I ride along Churchyard Row during hours of darkness (every evening from now until February!) there are often groups of people or sole walkers in the park and I'm glad we ride on teh side on a better lit path. I've also had dogs run at the bike when riding through the park section of CS3 which is bound to happen here too.
And its until 2018!? Surely it can't take that long to build the proposed site up.
Friday 31 October 2014 11.52am
This sounds like a far from ideal proposal and will require significant engineering to make it a safe passage for cyclists, and takes another chunk out of the park for its users.

Can I encourage anyone concerned to attend tomorrow afternoon's workshop hosted by the proposed Elephant and Walworth Neighbourhood Forum - Connecting the Neighbourhood is tomorrow at 1pm, Pasley TA Hall, Stopford Rd, SE17 3BP.

Despite the fact this superhighway detour issue is outside the proposed forum's (very wonky and objectionable) boundaries and despite the fact that the workshop's host Peter Wright has categorically rejected anyone is given time to share issues outside the boundaries - I asked - but I'm sure if people attend they will find a way of raise awareness of the issue, as it's bang on topic.
Friday 31 October 2014 11.02pm
bugger that's a route I use a lot on my lunch hour to get to Walworth Road or Elephant and Castle.

Though far from ideal the diversion is a minor route change
Monday 3 November 2014 2.37pm
I live off the Walworth Road, so I have to use this route pretty much any time I go north; having been knocked off on the roundabout I'm no longer prepared to go that way, so I go around the diversion. Looking at the entrance to Churchyard Row from the crossing, it's not clear to me how Mace intend to safely route cyclists into the park.

At the moment the entrance is bounded by railings and there are steps into the park, so I assume that they're either planning to add a ramp and knock down part of the wall and railings, or expect cyclists to make a fairly tight turn. The path that runs parallel to Churchyard Row is quite narrow, so that will need to be widened to cope with the number of cyclists at peak times. The alternative would be to route cyclists up Dante Road, but there's no direct route between the toucan crossing/Hampton Street and Dante Road, and I'm not sure having rush hour flows of cyclists along the pavement here would be desirable.

Given that this will coincide with the redevelopment of the Elephant northbound roundabout, it is even more important that a safe route avoiding the roundabout is in place. Are there any other opportunities to discuss this with Mace or LB Southwark?
Monday 3 November 2014 3.13pm
More plans for the diversion are in this planning application

http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeDocs&TheSystemkey=9555729

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 4 November 2014 3.06pm
Thanks james.

I'm keen to org a meeting with them all, pretty furious that such things can happen on a designated priority route with no prior announcement or consultation. Very poor by all three parties.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: