'Fuckoffee' Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8
Wednesday 5 November 2014 2.51pm
I've considered this name change since the Twitter comments in June. I agree that this is a deliberately lazy name change. I wasn't certain the name had changed initially.
I have seen and heard people coming over with children from the White Cube who have turned away having spotted the front sign.
one young boy I saw recently was reprimanded by his mother for repeating the name loudly over and over.
I also know of people who have stopped going in because of the sign, including young mums and offspring who now go to hej or the watch house.
I enjoyed the coffee in bermondsey street coffee. I don't particularly enjoy the name.
maybe it's a play on words too far.
I don't think that this is a prudish point of view, as discussed on Twitter.
I think bermondsey street has its own edge and vibe going on inspite of this signage, not because of it.
shame, as I really liked their flat whites.
Wednesday 5 November 2014 3.27pm
Strange isn't it, if that had been sprayed on a wall the council would send someone down to remove it as obscene graffiti, shame it's not on a wall...they probably think it's very clever, wonder if they have little ones learning to read, perhaps they think bermondsey street aint the place for kiddies.
Wednesday 5 November 2014 3.34pm
I'm glad you've raised this.

It's been on my list of potential news stories for months, but I've resisted following up as it seemed to be such an obvious attention-seeking move / publicity stunt.

They've tweeted that they've had several visits from the police in relation to the name.

I'd be interested to know whether that's true, and on what grounds.

The 'Street Coffee' chain's latest stunt seems to be the sale of ebola masks.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 5 November 2014 3.47pm
It's probably their attempt at being "cool" and "edgy", (man). They seem as funny as a poke in the eye with a shitty stick.
Wednesday 5 November 2014 4.02pm
Slightly off topic - but they started following me on Twitter, and then sent me a series of tweets saying '@laraloobrush is the **** ****'. Pretty weird behaviour, especially considering i haven't really bought coffee in there for about 5 years, because i no longer work on Bermondsey St! I unfollowed them and it ended. i'm aware what they were tweeting me is supposed to be a complement, but they don't know me, they don't know that luckily i'm not easily offended!

Regarding the name - it seems like a publicity stunt to me. It really jars with the ethos of Bermondsey Street but at the same time feels a bit like they want someone to 'dare' to bring it up with them. Good luck James!
Wednesday 5 November 2014 4.18pm
For those of us, who rarely visit Bermondsey Street a little background info would have been nice? Is it a coffee shop you are talking about? With a rude sign?
Wednesday 5 November 2014 4.29pm
Sorry, Legz_eleven, but what is the "ethos" of Bermondsey Street?
Wednesday 5 November 2014 4.38pm
_nelson -

This coffee shop has displayed the name F***offee above its shopfront since early June (or thereabouts).

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 5 November 2014 4.44pm
@ Gavin Smith Just a bit more welcoming than this. I've always felt it has a lovely local community feel, people know each other, there are dog walking clubs, there is a summer festival, it just doesn't feel like the place to have a coffee shop called this. Just my opinion, but thats how it feels to me. The irony being that this coffee shop has been there for a while and actually is a very welcoming and cosy place, i'm just not sure about the name.
Wednesday 5 November 2014 5.09pm
I hadn't noticed to be honest.
I haven't been in there for a while, they used to do good soup at lunchtime.
Maybe they want to discourage visiting families from The Cube for a quieter environment for their regulars?

I used to go to Del Aziz on a Sunday for lunch with a friend but the last time we tried it it was wall to wall screaming babies and push chairs so we abandoned it and went along to Simon the Tanner instead.
Now my friend has a baby I expect we'll meet at Del Aziz again once she's out and about more. I shall take ear plugs and she can mime.

Its nice to have places that appeal to different people so everyone can find a cafe or pub that suits their needs.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: