seat belts in mini cabs?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 5 November 2014 3.44pm
Does anyone know the law concerning mini-cabs taking young children and not having child seats? I have a taxi-card which is a God send, today we had an expedition to Surrey Quays, booked a Com Cab telling call handler we needed a proper Black Taxi as we had a child in a pushchair, lovely no problem.

Booked a return journey from there at 13.00, told them the same, waited ages before a call came through on my mobile stating that a driver was waiting. Could not see any taxi, it was a mini cab driver and could barely understand him, he pulled up, I asked where his child seat was and he never had one! We would not get into it without one and quite righhtly he said he would not be allowed.

Getting home at almost 14.20 I rang to complain about it and the operator said they are not allowed to send out taxis all the time, they use mini cabs also and they have no control over what vehicle picks up the booking, this service which is so valuable to many is paid for by Southwark Council. I asked the operator who I would complain to as there are times I need to use a wheelchair and get pushed in and out by a helper..and a mini cab would not be of use! Rag Doll Disease has it's moments thats why I call it Mad goat disease! So who at Southwark would I moan to?
Thursday 6 November 2014 2.23pm
I'm not sure who to contact at Southwark, Jan, but the Southwark Disablement Association will be able to help: here
Friday 7 November 2014 11.31pm
I'm sorry about what happened there Jan, but I believe that during the really tough part of the last recession, Com-Cab entered into a partnership with a minicab company.
The idea was, so many corporate clients were demanding cheaper and cheaper deals, that many of Com-Cabs black cab drivers were rejecting the work being offered over their terminals, and opting to just work the street, rather than do jobs that went 15.00 on the meter, but only getting paid 10.00 - 12.00.
Com-Cab would then send in a minicab to cover the job, keeping the client satisfied.
The circuit that I subscribed to when I was working started to make noises that they would follow suit.
I, along with scores of other subscribers abandoned the circuit, on the basis that if you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas.
This was probably the reason that a minicab was sent to you, there wasn't a black cab willing to take a heavily discounted job.
Don't take this as gospel, but it's very likely close to the truth.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network