Street clutter on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 10 November 2014 6.32pm
Is it only me getting increasingly frustrated by the amount of street clutter on Bermondsey Street where badly laid cobblestones, bollards, bicycles chained on street posts, shops’ advertising signs (A-boards) and pavement furniture obstruct and hamper a person’s progress in the street?
Now even the new coffee shop in the former watch house at St Mary Magdalen Churchyard has already picked up the habit. Not much room is left to go through between the rubbish bin, their tables and the A-board sign.
Is there a way to complain to the Council?
Tuesday 11 November 2014 10.17am
No it's not.

Pushing a pram is impossible without going onto the road in places dodging the oncoming traffic, the horrendously uneven cobblestones, paving stones and high kerbs along with the other pavement obstacles are a real liability, really be surprised if the council hasn't had any claims made against it. Given it's popularity and the publicity Bermondsey St. gets it's poor that nothing's been done.

Perhaps they have already decided that the road is to be pedestrianised. Hope so.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 12.14am
I agree but, when I mentioned this on the Forum, a while back, I was admonished and told there were more important matters in this world to worry about.

Hm. How about being hit by a car when all you wanted to do was nip to the local shops?
Wednesday 12 November 2014 12.39pm
Contact Southwark Council. They have a very helpful chap who will go check and if the A boards are causing a problem will instruct the business to remove it under threat of removal and fine.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 6.00pm
Something I had in mind for the last few weeks. Just reported it to the council (Noise & Nuisance Dept.: noiseandnuisance@southwark.gov.uk), although not sure if to the right department. Wish me luck!
Wednesday 12 November 2014 7.27pm
Thanks for the tip urbanite, and Henry good luck to you.
Let us know how you get on with it. I shall do the same.
Thursday 13 November 2014 10.10am
I spoke to this person at Southwark Council who was very helpful. Not sure if he is still the correct person as it was about 18 months ago but it did results.

Nad.Valaydon@southwark.gov.uk
Friday 14 November 2014 9.54am
Mr Valaydon doesn't work any longer for the council. Looks like the department to contact to is: highwayslicensing@southwark.gov.uk
Friday 14 November 2014 11.07am
Just got a very nice and extensive response from the Council (Mark Adams - Licensing and Enforcement Officer). They are fully aware of those issues and they are looking into the matter and will take the necessary steps if under their control.
Thursday 16 April 2015 9.47am
The Watch House Coffee had one annoying small board and then 2. Then only a big one, placed on the corner and not too obtrusive. How can Bermondsey Village restaurant get away with having a massive signs outside occupying half of the pavement? Who can we contact about this issue? I've emailed Nad.Valaydon@southwark.gov.uk but got no reply.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: