Hotel GB: Bermondsey Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 12
Tuesday 11 November 2014 8.31am
Just been told that Hotel GB in Bermondsey Square has been bought over by a Muslim owner and that all pork and alcohol has been removed from the building and won't be sold there anymore.

Please tell me it isn't true. I finally felt the kitchen in this hotel had got its act together. I loved going there. No pork I can just about handle. But no alcohol. No way!
Wednesday 12 November 2014 12.18am
The kitchen 'got its act together' a long, long time just didn't bother to tell anyone! I have had some excellent meals there over the last few years - once the 'Retro' '70s menu was abolished.

They have a new 'Investor' - the other Directors remain, I am reliably informed.

They will honour bookings already made, including Christmas day, but popping in for a drink is now a thing of the past.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 6.50am
This is a huge mistake. I am told all the alcohol has been removed and customers are already kicking off. And I don't blame them. Who on earth believes a "dry" hotel and restaurent is going to work in central London, never mind Bermondsey square?!! This is not Saudi Arabia!!!

I am really sad because this had become one of my local places of choice to hang out in. And Directors if you are reading this, what on earth were you thinking when you signed up to this deal ?
Wednesday 12 November 2014 9.26am
I can't quite believe this. Sounds like an April Fools joke.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 9.38am
I just phoned the hotel and its true. no pork or alcohol from a couple of days ago apparently

what a shame
Wednesday 12 November 2014 9.42am
Sounds like they've alienated 99% of their clientele. What a foolish business decision!
Wednesday 12 November 2014 9.51am
Isn't it one of the joys of multicultural London?

IIRC, there was strong support on here a while ago for an alcohol-free "bar" in the area. Perhaps there's a market there for them.

If not...they'll lose a lot of money.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 12 November 2014 9.53am
Is Gregg Wallace still involved with the restaurant?
Wednesday 12 November 2014 9.56am
I'm a teetotaller but think the no alcohol and no pork policy is too prescriptive. What next? Are guests in the linked hotel going to be asked to provide marriage certificates if they want a double room? Are same-sex couples going to be refused entry?
Wednesday 12 November 2014 9.56am
I work in Saudi Arabia and live just off the Bermondsey square. . So I am fully versed in alchohol and pork free living. Just not on my home turf.

And it doesn't make sense in any way. Most Arabs would never expect to book into a pork/ alchohol free hotel in London. And most Arabs would never cross the water to South london in any case?!

So who is the new client base for hotel GB? Doesn't it throw even the name of the hotel into question ?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: