picking your brains ..again!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 14 November 2014 1.12pm
A family are being made homeless through no fault of their own, they worked in an establishment near southwark town hall, peckham. Their accomodation was provided by the owner along with their job. the place has been sold, the Council have known about this couple and their children since January. Their leaving date was this week. Despite the notice given and the fact the family have multiple health problems, including epilepsy, cerebal palsy, thats in the 2 schoolchildren and other complicated health problems also.

They are being pressured into taking bed and breakfast, my long waffle is can Southwark insist on them taking b and b? with such complex needs? and one of the children had surgery the other week.

The parents have seemed to have exhausted all avenues in trying to get help, would going to press help at all? if anyone wants to PM me I would give more details, but due to the personal nature of some of the illness and details do not want to put them on here.

The actual eviction date was 30/31st october and the owner of the property has extended that already by 2 weeks, now the council are about to contact him again and ask for another week. They were offered a 3 bed.in a property, a block of flats that are due to be demolished, then phoned in the evening and told the offer had been withdrawn due a landlord pulling out! That would not have been a permanent property and that was a lie because another family moved in straight away!

Why is such disorganisation going on unchecked in the Housing Homeless Unit? It seems a case of the right hand not knowing what the right ones doing, or gross maladministration. These people have lived in southwark for years...The state this poor mother is in is heartbreaking, worry for her elderly husband and her sick children..
Friday 14 November 2014 1.49pm
I'm no expert Jan, but I would imagine any publicity would have Southwark squirming, and rightly so.
Friday 14 November 2014 2.34pm
agree re publicity, especially in the light of ongoing housing disasters (not even mentioning the recent court case!) - paying a collective visit to tooley street or the housing offices too may be an option? http://housingactionsouthwarkandlambeth.wordpress.com/2014/10/16/massive-housing-solidarity-southwark-council-ineptitude/
Friday 14 November 2014 6.05pm
solidaritea meets every monday, 2-4pm at 97 dawes house, orb street se17, and might be a good place to start working out who/when/why/what.

the next housing action southwark & lambeth meeting is on wednesday 26th november, renton close, brixton
Friday 14 November 2014 10.40pm
Thank you Jan for highlighting my plight . The last month has been the worst nightmare ever. My daughter who volunteers at battersea said dogs are rehomed better than people under care of southwark . Tonight we picked up keys for a temporary property, it's a block that's coming down in future, rent is higher than council rent which I don't understand,esp when property is in a poor state.we have been lied to , messed around, emails so inconsistent , I would love to know what happened today, which lead to us being given keys, I'd love to know how southwark can justify the offer in new Addington at 80 a night yet privately rentable for 900 a month.southwark tried and nearly succeeded to make us leave borough. We have lived in same house for 27 years.our children all born at kings .yes we are a vulnerable family as we have medical and mental health problems, but even if we weren't we would be now with the treatment we have received .I believe the b'&b threat was to make us find our own accomendation . Just hope and pray we don't have to stay there long. Now for a big clean and lick of paint . If anyone can advise the process next I would appreciate it . Once again thanks for your kind words and advice. I am going to try and get answers from southwark and send a letter of complaint about treatment .
Saturday 15 November 2014 12.57am
Twinhunters 7 we are behind you and anything we can do to help let us know - email your chosen MP and SOUTHWwark nEws... thinking of you tonight Much love to you and your family.
Saturday 15 November 2014 3.59pm
Thank you kory for your kind wishes , it's restores your faith when someone who doesn't know us sends love.. The dirty place is not so dirty how and hosting nice nets , not only for me but the next homeless family that move in after us . Big thank you from bottom of my heart

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: