Devon Mansions - plumbing issues?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 15 November 2014 1.32pm
Hi everyone,

I've lived in a Devon Mansions property for three years now, and in that time have had to deal with 5 leaks in the kitchen and bathroom from the flat upstairs.

Every time one is fixed, another pops up a few months later. It's caused significant damage to both ceilings.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a wider issue or just the plumbing of the upstairs flat, so would be curious to know if anyone else has had similar problems...
Saturday 15 November 2014 6.12pm
You are not the first person to mention this problem with Devon Mansions on this forum, and I have a friend who had many problems with the plumbing above.
In fact, your description sounds remarkably like his problem, but then so did the last poster to mention it on here.
Sunday 16 November 2014 12.34pm
I lived in Devon Mansions for ten years. There are two probable causes:

From where you're experiencing leaks - especially since most the kitchens and bathrooms are next to each other - this would suggest carelessness when bathing from property tenants - water penetrates the floor and sits on the ceiling until it starts to cause damage/causes ceiling to drop.

If it were a problem with the pipes, you'd experience the leak in the hallway too because the pipes run in that direction.

Best bet is to contact FCHS (020 7378 0547) and ask them to inspect.
Sunday 16 November 2014 11.16pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
I lived in Devon Mansions for ten years. There are two probable causes:
From where you're experiencing leaks - especially since most the kitchens and bathrooms are next to each other - this would suggest carelessness when bathing from property tenants - water penetrates the floor and sits on the ceiling until it starts to cause damage/causes ceiling to drop.

If it were a problem with the pipes, you'd experience the leak in the hallway too because the pipes run in that direction.

Best bet is to contact FCHS (020 7378 0547) and ask them to inspect.

Thank you both for your comments. Gavin you are correct, this is what we were told about the bathroom leak. They were more vague about the kitchen ones though.

My biggest concern is the damage it's doing. When we had the kitchen roof fixed the first time they told us the floor boards were quite rotten to the point they couldn't fix anything to them.

It's good to know we're not alone in these problems. I'll be speaking to FCHS again tomorrow...
Monday 17 November 2014 5.52pm
when devon mansions (late hanover buildings) were constructed, there was no water to the flats whatsoever. subsequently a toilet supply, bathroom supply and kitchen supply were added. in most flats there are at least 2, if not 3 water risers and stopcocks from the basement. the youngest pipeworks are 50 years old! on the sunnyside, water will never be metered!
between the floors are timber floorboards and the ceiling plaster of the flat below. therefore, merely spilling a glass of water on the floor will cause a 'leak', and, then there's the noise problems!
the only answer is to encourage the flat above to install some waterproof(and soundproof)floor coverings to contain the smaller leaks. you could consider ceiling suspensions of sorts but these are expensive.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: