WOT, no Waitrose?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 16 November 2014 6.33pm
Tesco Express BHS

The consultations in attended spoke of a decent size (for the site) of a Waitrose supermarket. Not that I'm a Waitrose fan, but it would make a nice change from shops Tesco (and Sainsburys) dot around the place.

Related news & features

Sunday 16 November 2014 11.01pm
Why are tesco and sainsburys appearing on every street in the borough?
Their express/metro stores are horrendous with little or no choice
Please, please can we have another brand come onto the scene
Monday 17 November 2014 10.56am
I heard that Lidl/Aldi are moving into the "express" store market - I really hope this isn't true as these small stores are fundamentally the same very limited range of products irrespective of the chain... Would rather have a smaller number and more choice from different brands of store.... So I join the ranks of residents wanting a Waitrose simply to widen the variety...
Monday 17 November 2014 10.04pm
Couldnt agree more Sophie.
But I wouldn't say no to Aldi if Waitrose can't get a local gig.
Monday 17 November 2014 11.19pm
I'm really puzzled ! Why why why has Waitrose so far shunned se1 when it has plenty of ready and willing potential customers, I just don't understand it from a business perspective. Can anyone from Waitrose enlighten us ?
Monday 17 November 2014 11.29pm
vicd I've been wondering this for a while, I would have thought they would be itching for a piece of SE1 and they are cheekily close over London Bridge, strange.
Tuesday 18 November 2014 4.47pm
Right now I have to take the bus to Deptford creek for my Waitrose fix. Sigh. It would be good to know why SE1 is no go.
Tuesday 18 November 2014 7.52pm
vicd wrote:
I'm really puzzled ! Why why why has Waitrose so far shunned se1 when it has plenty of ready and willing potential customers, I just don't understand it from a business perspective. Can anyone from Waitrose enlighten us ?

I think the business perspective is this: their rather large St Katherine's Dock store is only minutes away from SE1. I live on Tower Bridge Road and it is a 15 min walk to Waitrose. What's more: you can do a big shop and then ask customer service to deliver it to your house on the same day.

I really think that the location of that store plays a role in their considerations on whether or not to open in SE1.
Thursday 20 November 2014 9.19am
maurits - they deliver free to your address in SE1? That would be bliss and save me carrying a hundred bags on the 100 bus!

re: supermarkets, I have been threatening to create a logo map of supermarkets to highlight the ridiculous number of tesco and sainsburys (and M&S too really). I might make it my Xmas project.
Thursday 20 November 2014 9.49am
maurits wrote:
vicd wrote:

I think the business perspective is this: their rather large St Katherine's Dock store is only minutes away from SE1. I live on Tower Bridge Road and it is a 15 min walk to Waitrose. What's more: you can do a big shop and then ask customer service to deliver it to your house on the same day.

I really think that the location of that store plays a role in their considerations on whether or not to open in SE1.

I agree. I live further west than you but the KD Waitrose is easier for me to get to e.g. than OKR or Canada Water Tesco, adn if I want to go to a nig Sainsbury's I go to the Angel.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: