Social Cleansing - not SE1, relevant nontheless

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 19 November 2014 9.36am
This had my blood boiling when I read it yesterday, not least because our homes were under threat earlier this year and I know from personal experience the anguish this causes.My heart goes out to the residents.
The story is picked up inthe Telegraph this morning. Housing is an issue that is not going to go away.
People need homes they can afford, and the greed of these property companies has to be curbed.
Friday 21 November 2014 4.42pm
Just watched this video on line. New Era today, someone in SE1 tomorrow.
A bit of direct action from the press too in the style of pros, but the usual " no one is available to talk to you" reaction.
Monday 24 November 2014 6.11pm
Heard about this on the radio this morning, and there is, of course, a connection between growing inequality and social cleansing.
Wednesday 26 November 2014 1.04pm
The Guardian seems to be digging up lots of information on this topic. New Era Estate in the news again, but folks in Southwark, it could be us next.
Wednesday 26 November 2014 11.20pm
Silwood, Heygate, Aylesbury etc.loads in Southwark and the upshot is the same. Formula council rents will rise with 1999/2000 valuations brought up to date and CPI is being reviewed. The only way is up. The only protection for those who can is right to buy. It's just the beginning...gloom
Monday 16 February 2015 5.38pm
Let's make no mistake - this is all part of a wider strategy to empty anywhere that could remotely be described as 'inner London of poor people, who would then be dispersed, either 'voluntarily' or by market pressure, to the peripheries or outside the city altogether.

I won't bang on in this forum, but there are so many emerging and recent examples of this. Although I personally believe that public marches are nothing more than a sop to convince people they live in a functional democracy, the small turn-out at the recent March for Homes demo indicates that most people are walking unconscious or otherwise obliviously towards the precipice...
Monday 16 February 2015 11.10pm
Jim, I was on the march and I thought it was well attended. I was especially pleased to see so many young people on the march.
Tuesday 17 February 2015 9.21am
jimfearnley wrote:
this is all part of a wider strategy

Who is orchestrating this strategy?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: