1960's Toy Shop Old Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 18 November 2014 11.33pm
Does any one know / or know were I can find out about shops in the Old Kent Road around the 1960's. My father in law said there used to be a model store the he knew as "the train shop" that sold train items and models, and he remembers the shop front having a slot for pennies and when you put your penny in it would set off the train set in the window.

Does any one know the name of the store or even better have any photos of it at all? Apparently it was along by were Woolworth was. Opposite the Thomas a Becket. He would have been about 8 at the time he said which put this shop at being there around 1968.

Thank you for any help
Tuesday 18 November 2014 11.40pm
Have a look at this thread:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/155471

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 19 November 2014 12.07am
Great thanks, I've just posted a message over there too.
Wednesday 19 November 2014 7.10am
I think it was called Harry Weeks
Wednesday 19 November 2014 10.44am
Harry weeks used to own the first travel agents I ever knew in New Kent Road, near the Gunsmiths, cant remember the name of the smashing shop which had a large train track in the window and if you put Two old Pennies in would make it run. In the Old kent road, I think roughly opposite the Old Fire Station.
Friday 21 November 2014 9.17am
Jan the old one wrote:
Harry weeks used to own the first travel agents I ever knew in New Kent Road, near the Gunsmiths, cant remember the name of the smashing shop which had a large train track in the window and if you put Two old Pennies in would make it run. In the Old kent road, I think roughly opposite the Old Fire Station.

You are right Jan,but it was one old penny.I have since been told it was called W S Stamps.Still don't know if this the right name!
Friday 5 December 2014 12.18pm
Hi Chrissie. I used to travel that way to school every day when i was young and as i remember the shop with the train in the window was called 'STAMPS'. They sold models (ships, aeroplanes etc) balsa wood for modelling coins and stamps and all the paraphernalia that goes along with these hobbies.
Both my brothers used to spend their pocket money there and i would watch the train in the window to amuse myself.
I'm pretty sure it was on the site where DFS now stands next to the 99p shop. Woollworths i think used to be where Tesco now is, and a shoe repair shop which later turned into a bike shop was on the corner leading to Dunton Bridge. on the opposite side of the road further down near the Lord Nelson pub was 'Staffords' (grocers)and a shop called 'Rodney Radios' which i think was an electrical shop. I have been looking for photos of this area myself as i am trying to find a picture of the house which used to stand on the site where pursers was built.
Hope this helps a little.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: