register to vote...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 1 December 2014 9.42am
Now let me get this right, Southwark are changing the way we register to vote and now everyone is responsible for registering themselves, fair enough, but now according to the latest Southwark Life not only do you have to include your date of birth you also put down your National Insurance Number!

Are they for real? so Electoral registers are sold to any company who pays a fee, and this will include a number issued that is solely yours for when you contact DWP or any other official body, any one intent on identity fraud will have a heyday.

Quote ' This will make the electoral register more secure' No way in a milion years will I put mine down, it's bad enough when you phone for a takeaway and they don't ask for your address just your postcode and number. Wonder what will happen if people choose not to put it down?

rant over!
Monday 1 December 2014 2.54pm
Jan - as far as I can see...

It's not a Southwark initiative, it's national.

The system is for new registration and changes of address, so if you're already registered and haven't moved, you don't need to reregister.

The online system requires you to type in your National Insurance number (seems sensible enough, since it's the nearest thing we have to a national identity card). The short answer to your question 'Wonder what will happen if people choose not to put it down?' is that the system won't allow you to proceed any further until you do.

But there seems to be no indication that this number will be recorded as part of the published electoral register

In any case, it's only the 'edited' version of the register that can be 'sold to any company' - if you've opted out of that, your name and address are only in the 'full' register, which can't be sold to outsiders for marketing purposes.

But I'm sure there's someone on the forum who can give us a much better reading of the legal situation.
Monday 1 December 2014 3.20pm
John C wrote:

The system is for new registration and changes of address, so if you're already registered and haven't moved, you don't need to reregister.

Actually I had to re-register. I ignored the letters I was receiving until a guy from the council knocked at my door with the forms (the same they were sending via post)
Monday 1 December 2014 3.35pm
mickybar wrote:
John C wrote:

Actually I had to re-register. I ignored the letters I was receiving until a guy from the council knocked at my door with the forms (the same they were sending via post)

The letter I received back in the summer said I had automatically been re-registered, and didn't have to do anything. It also confirmed that (because I'd opted out before) my details aren't in the 'open register'.

But I should have said 'probably don't need to re-register'!

Quote from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28132233 -
'However, about 20% of people who have registered to vote in England and Wales will be told they need to re-register because they have not had their identity confirmed as part of a process in which election officials are "matching" details held locally with information held centrally by the Department for Work and Pensions.... Many of these people are likely to be students and others who have moved frequently in recent years. All of them will be sent letters telling them what they need to do and reminding them they can provide the information required online.'
Monday 1 December 2014 4.55pm
That's probably the reason, since I moved to Southwark in Sep 2013
Tuesday 2 December 2014 9.12am
Thank You John, I am still suspicious about the security of personal details, after all if a MI5 worker can leave his laptop in a restaurant , the council can make a mistake! But having said that any one could phone up years ago and put their names down!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: