Mature trees chopped down

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 2 December 2014 6.28pm
Does anyone know why the mature trees by Guinness Trust in Snowsfields were chopped down?
Maybe there were stealing the limelight from the bright orange/pink charity work going on around the Greenwood Theatre?
Tuesday 2 December 2014 7.51pm
I contacted the council about them and a tree surgeon phoned me back. He said they were affecting the boundary wall - and the wall was going to be extended. I asked him couldn't they have demolished the wall instead and he just mumbled at me and said they had to come down - health and safety I assume but it seems a rather harsh decision. Too late to cry about it now though :-(
Tuesday 2 December 2014 8.24pm
I discovered that the lovely tree in the courtyard of Douglas Buildings off Marshalsea was almost chopped this summer and has only now got temp.stay ... Southwark applied to chop down and evidently just luck it survived as there was no real notice of intention or chance to protest if they had decided to go ahead then and there
Tuesday 2 December 2014 9.54pm
Disappointing and shocking vandalism of three perfectly nice, mature trees that positively contributed to the urban environment of Snowsfields. Surely there was a viable alternative. Such a pity.
Tuesday 2 December 2014 11.57pm
I HATE trees being chopped down. Call me a tree hugger, but there is something about a tree that you've seen growing for most of your life, they become part of your life.
Wednesday 3 December 2014 12.17am
I live in Guinness Court. We had notices up about the trees damaging the boundary wall. If you look at the fence by the stump next to block L you can see the damage done. It's obvious the wall could just have been rebuilt further from the tree. No doubt the council and Guinness Trust were not prepared to pay for it, despite the major work on the courtyard the trust is happy to fork out for.
The Guinness Trust now let flats out through estate agents at market rents (our housing officer told me). That's why the new courtyard is important and beautiful old trees are not.
Wednesday 3 December 2014 11.45am
That's what makes me sick, on the Heygate about 400 trees remain, obviously because they enhance the development for all these rich buyers! What happened to the good old tree protection department we used to have?
Wednesday 3 December 2014 12.04pm
beetroot wrote:
I live in Guinness Court. We had notices up about the trees damaging the boundary wall. If you look at the fence by the stump next to block L you can see the damage done. It's obvious the wall could just have been rebuilt further from the tree. No doubt the council and Guinness Trust were not prepared to pay for it, despite the major work on the courtyard the trust is happy to fork out for.
The Guinness Trust now let flats out through estate agents at market rents (our housing officer told me). That's why the new courtyard is important and beautiful old trees are not.

This is a joke, they are probably using our rent money to pay the agency fee's!!
Wednesday 3 December 2014 12.57pm
I walk to walk along Snowsfields every day, and it just seems bare without those trees. Such a shame.
Wednesday 3 December 2014 2.21pm
St George's Road is the same, just stubs like by the Garden Row crossing. Such a shame
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: