Southwark Residents Say No

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 8 December 2014 11.05pm
We are a group of local residents who love Southwark and value the friendly,co-operative, supportive nature of our community, but now we feel that our neighbourhood is under threat. Many residents, individuals and groups, are deeply worried about the planning policies of Southwark Council. Far too many tower blocks are being given planning consent. Many loved and valued older buildings have been destroyed, or are scheduled for demolition. These policy decisions threaten to break up our community and destroy our neighbourhood. Please go to our web-site and add your name to the list of supporters: Residents in favour of responsible development. Please note, we are not an anti-development group, we just value our community and think the council needs to listen to us.
Tuesday 9 December 2014 12.45pm
best change your title then....
Tuesday 9 December 2014 7.02pm
Sorry, the title is incorrect. I obviously set a sentence as the website link. I won't try again, I'll just type in the website.

www.southwarkresidentssayno.com
Wednesday 10 December 2014 12.19am
Karen

I think shaggy is right, you would do better to emphasise what you are in favour of , not your negativity.

So this should be your leitmotif

"we.....value the friendly,co-operative, supportive nature of our community

These policy decisions threaten to break up our community and destroy our neighbourhood. "

So not anti change or high buildings per se , but wanting to support the best community values. A difficult message to nuance, but positives usually trump negatives.

Good luck, and as you can see I am in Lambeth not Southwark.
Wednesday 10 December 2014 6.18pm
I'm not sure I agree. We are saying no to the "policy decisions that are made" by Southwark Council. That is our fight because we "value the friendly ....." Our Twitter name is more positive: We are SaveSouthwark (or about to be). However, I'll pass this on to other group members and we can make decision - it won't be for a while yet though because we need to prepare for the Planning meeting on 18 December regarding the 'Barratt's Tower'. Lambeth residents are not exempt from any of the north Southwark groups as the boundary is very close. Thank you for your best wishes.
Monday 15 December 2014 2.47pm
I do not agree. Southwark for a long time was looked down on by persons north of the river because of the dirty old run down buildings, railway arches in the area. Now they are being replaced with clean new energy efficient buildings that provide services like shops cafes and restaurants for the neighbourhood. The additional capacity of these buildings means more revenue to the council. If the council spends the money wisely then it will result in more money for various projects in the area that will help the less advantaged.
Monday 15 December 2014 4.25pm
Like making the least advantaged in the borough to pay 15% of the council tax after government cuts and taking them to court for their arrears?
Monday 15 December 2014 7.12pm
Jon9521. Our group is not against new buildings, we are all in agreement that something needs to happen to Blackfriars Road because some parts of it are a mess, however, we hope to push for more responsible development that takes into account local people and their needs. This particular building is about 26m higher than the council has stipulated for this road and yet it supports the plan. Dozens of local residents will be affected by this building as it reduces the amount of light into their properties. As for all the cafes and restaurants; they don't serve the neighbourhood; they serve a passing population.
Friday 19 December 2014 12.53am
As expected the planning application for the Barratts Tower was accepted. It seems that the council write policies that they don't adhere to eg the height of the building which is 20m taller than the councils own recommendation. Other policies that were ignored include lack of office space and under quota on affordable housing. Interestingly, the first item was about extending licensing hours of the hotel at Sea Containers House (not clear why this was heard at this meeting) and the Councillors asked more questions about this than a huge building that's going to have a massive effect on the area for years and years. Again all the Labour Councillors voted in favour with only the Lib Dem Councillors asking insightful questions. These planning application meetings are a farce.
Wednesday 31 December 2014 12.17am
Keep trying Karen.

A lot of what is going on here is really wrong and only benefits overseas buy to let investors, not anyone trying to live and work here.

Also many good historic buildings are being bulldozed to build shoebox flats with paper thin walls, many of which are never really lived in, which is just as well because no new doctors surgeries or schools are factored in to accommodate the people who DO buy these places to live in, with the knock on effect that no one who lives round here can get to see a doctor they've been with for decades within three weeks so HURRAH for all the EMPTY flats!

Which is all just plain wrong.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: