freeview in se1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 14 December 2014 10.54am
My daughter has bought me a new tv. to replace the dinosaur I currently have, it has Freeview but I have cable, how will that work if I need a aerial? does she need to return the tv.?
Sunday 14 December 2014 12.18pm
Freeview only comes through an aerial. If you haven't got an aerial socket you can plug it into, you can buy an indoor aerial quite cheaply (from Argos, Tesco etc). It may be a little hit and miss how good the reception is though - generally the higher up you are, the better. However modern TVs do seem to be better than old ones coping with poor signals.

Alternatively you can just connect to your cable service. I assume you are with Virgin - I seem to remember they will provide you with a basic box that will provide all the Freeview channels (give or take a few) for an extra 1 a month. It is also worth considering their basic Tivo package which allows you to record, pause live TV and watch stuff you've missed on demand

I wouldn't return the TV - all sets come with Freeview built in these days - it doesn't stop you using cable
Monday 15 December 2014 9.33am
Jan GeminiX is right all TVs come with Freeview tuners built in just as the previous generation of TVs had analogue tuners built in. The majority of viewers (being non-cable) can now only receive TV on their set through Freeview and an aerial whether that aerial is indoor, external or communal.
The simple answer is contact your cable supplier to see how you get the channels you require from Freeview or go to the Freeview website and I am sure they will have a F A Q section.
I found that I got a perfect picture on Freeview with an indoor aerial whereas the reception on analogue was terrible, I put it down to the difference between a digital signal and an analogue signal, that was in the days of seperate Freeview set top boxes.
You have no legitimate cause to return the TV because all TVs have digital Freeviw tuners. I'm just waiting for somebody to come up with an obscure and opposing response to that last sentence.
Best of luck Jan, enjoy your new TV.
Monday 15 December 2014 9.40am
Jan, given that you ask about how to connect it, I assume you just watch TV through your Virgin box and haven't had cause to use Freeview.

That being the case, just plug the scart lead/HDMI which runs from the back of the Virgin box into your TV as GeminiX says. Voila!

TBH is right though about returning it though; you don't have any legitimate cause to return it unless they give an unequivocal money-back guarantee because you're not happy with it.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: