No takers for Tower Bridge cultural space

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 16 December 2014 2.39pm
Be interesting to know what price this was marketed at? One that enticed applications or one that turned them away....

Related news & features

Tuesday 16 December 2014 4.58pm
Would love a swimming pool or public gym compared to other boroughs we don't have many public leisure facilities but are very rich culturally. Correct me if I am wrong...

Also quite saddened by this, Shunt were very keen to have that space and have been a great attraction in the area yet were knocked back and now - nothing!
Tuesday 16 December 2014 8.38pm
If i was a cyncial man i would say it that Berkley have probably no doubt pulled every trick in the book they can to make it unworkable to any cultural institutions.

I like the fact the 'market' "has indicated that there would be increased interest from potential tenants for a smaller cultural space of approximately 2,000 square metres".

Surely then they could split the 6,000 sq mtrs into THREE different cultural spaces rather than flog the other 4,000sq mt off to yet another bland series of chains.

Hmm probably not as lucrative though...

Amazed the developers can pull this sh*& off all the time in front of everyone and nothing seems to really happen from the council even though it is INSANELY obvious to even the biggest idiot what is going on.
Tuesday 16 December 2014 8.53pm
You don't have to be cynical just look at Southwark's record with developers from council leaders, cabinet members, planning committees, CEOs, executive officers and ordinary officers of the council.
It is not a pretty picture.
Wednesday 17 December 2014 9.20am
More scandalous planning decisions from Southwark coming home to roost.

Much of the land was owned by Southwark themselves and instead of extending the park they appeared desperate to build flats here, using the excuse of some 40 or 50 year old covenants to pursue their ideology. Now we have a small park which could have been so much more of a benefit to people living and working in the area ultra dense housing overshadowing the park and basically derelict space. Well done Southwark!!!
Thursday 18 December 2014 12.12pm
I don't think this should be seen as a setback at all, more an opportunity.

An opportunity to have another Tesco - impossible to have too many of those, obviously.

(No connection BTW, to Martin Langford or Tesco)
Saturday 20 December 2014 7.10pm
and what happened to bell homes sorting out the crossing where the cyclist ellie got killed, I am sick of false promises
Sunday 21 December 2014 6.30pm
I am always suprised that no employee, officer or councillor will divulge, anonomously, what they know about such shenanigans.
We see it time and time again with Southwark Planning.
What seem barely acceptable decisions in the first place become over a very short period of time absurd and to the detriment of the resdential ratepayers but always to the benefit of the developers.
I believe that there are employees whose job it is to advise developers on how to get round the planning regulations through duplicity.
No employee or councillor seem to recognise that their duty is to the people who pay their wages and not to developers or themselves and their pockets.
Does Southwark Council have such a terrible anti-whistleblower agenda that all employees are frightened to speak out?
It seems so.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: