Christmas tree collection

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 2 January 2015 8.33am
Does anyone know if Southwark Council will be collecting Christmas trees this year and if so, when? I can't find any up to date info on their website.
Much appreciated,
T.
Friday 2 January 2015 2.19pm
The regular refuse collection guys collected ours with the rest of the household waste.
Friday 2 January 2015 3.16pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
The regular refuse collection guys collected ours with the rest of the household waste.

You mean you threw yours out before Twelfth Night, Gavin? That's bad luck for the rest of the year, then.
Friday 2 January 2015 3.29pm
Aw John, you've gone and jinxed me! I am the superstitious type!
Tuesday 6 January 2015 2.28pm
I was in the process of trying to remove 2 large Christmas trees jammed into 2 of our bins when the refuse collectors arrived. One guy told me they wouldn't take the trees, another said they would. I left them to it, resigned to clearing up whatever they left. They compromised by taking one and leaving the other on the pavement, which has now also disappeared, I know not how. Guess their previous owners can also look forward to a year of bad luck.
Tuesday 6 January 2015 2.41pm
From the Southwark Council website.

"Christmas tree (real)
If you have a garden waste collection service, real Christmas trees will be collected, just place the tree next to your brown bin. Please remember to remove the pot and all decorations.

If you don't have a garden waste collection service, several collection points will be provided across the borough in January, for you to take your tree to.
If you are unable to take your tree to any of the collection sites call us on 020 7525 2000 to arrange an unscheduled garden waste collection"

[url=http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200084/recycling_and_waste/3342/christmas_recycling][/url]
Tuesday 6 January 2015 3.06pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

If you don't have a garden waste collection service, several collection points will be provided across the borough in January, for you to take your tree to.
If you are unable to take your tree to any of the collection sites call us on 020 7525 2000 to arrange an unscheduled garden waste collection"

Thanks eW. Sadly, from experience most of our residents would not bother to look up that advice in the first place, let alone act on it. Any more than they can be bothered to find out how to dispose of other trash in a responsible way, so furniture, dead vacuums, nappies, food waste gets dumped in the recycling bin, and the unwanted mattresses they can't cram into that get piled into the euro bins. Such fun.
Tuesday 6 January 2015 3.37pm
janefs wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

Thanks eW. Sadly, from experience most of our residents would not bother to look up that advice in the first place, let alone act on it. Any more than they can be bothered to find out how to dispose of other trash in a responsible way, so furniture, dead vacuums, nappies, food waste gets dumped in the recycling bin, and the unwanted mattresses they can't cram into that get piled into the euro bins. Such fun.

You're welcome :) Please note that as far as the Christmas tree collection they can not give you a date (hence "unscheduled"), as they do with bulk collections, so they will collect the tree at some point within a 10-day timeframe. Apart from that, I think the bulk collection service is brilliant, I have used it quite a few times, it is a very efficient way to get rid of your old stuff responsibly and I really don't understand why some people decide to just dump their stuff.
Tuesday 6 January 2015 4.54pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
the bulk collection service is brilliant, I have used it quite a few times, it is a very efficient way to get rid of your old stuff responsibly and I really don't understand why some people decide to just dump their stuff.

It is, but even putting up notices giving residents info about such a service is a waste of time. Fact is, it's easier to make it someone else's problem, and a thing of wonder when a pile of unwanted household stuff materialises in the bin room, usually during the hours of darkness. I'm not generally given to trawling through our bins but occasionally, I have taken to placing usable stuff on the pavement in the hope that someone passing by will find it useful or saleable. It disappears pretty quickly, if it's not picked up by Southwark's vans, but I'll get done for fly tipping if I'm not careful. We should have pavement 'flea market' days as they do in Germany, where their recycling laws make our councils look like a bunch of amateurs.
Tuesday 6 January 2015 5.29pm
janefs wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
the bulk collection service is brilliant, I have used it quite a few times, it is a very efficient way to get rid of your old stuff responsibly and I really don't understand why some people decide to just dump their stuff.

It is, but even putting up notices giving residents info about such a service is a waste of time. Fact is, it's easier to make it someone else's problem, and a thing of wonder when a pile of unwanted household stuff materialises in the bin room, usually during the hours of darkness. I'm not generally given to trawling through our bins but occasionally, I have taken to placing usable stuff on the pavement in the hope that someone passing by will find it useful or saleable. It disappears pretty quickly, if it's not picked up by Southwark's vans, but I'll get done for fly tipping if I'm not careful. We should have pavement 'flea market' days as they do in Germany, where their recycling laws make our councils look like a bunch of amateurs.

I lived in Switzerland for a while, where once a month you are allowed to put all your unwanted furniture/broken TV's etc on the the pavement, and the council would pick it all up. I lived in a student/artists area where it almost became a social event to go out and try and find anything you needed for your own flat. There were also professional rag-and-bone men who would pick up anything they felt they could sell. The council would not collect what little there was left until the next morning. A very simple process, but it worked really well. I once found an old lamp of mine being sold for more than I originally paid for it in a 2nd hand shop :)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: