Charlie Chaplin memorial at Elephant & Castle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 3 January 2015 9.11pm
I am quite a Chaplin fan, I rate his cultural impact similarly to Dickens'. I struggle to get my children interested in any "old" culture, but the lamppost scene in "The Kid", where the big guy hits the lamppost had them in stitches. I guess it must have been the cartoonish element, but if some kind of memorial can ensure Charlie's not forgotten, and maybe leads to children appreciating his work when they are a bit older, then I am all for this.

Related news & features

Saturday 3 January 2015 9.58pm
I too am a huge Chaplin fan, not just as an actor, bur even more so as a writer and director.

I think having a statue or some other memorial of him included in the new E&C development is a very good idea.

As for The Kid, this is the scene that does it for me: it shows how Chaplin could make us both laugh and cry and that is what set him aside from his contemporaries...
Saturday 3 January 2015 10.15pm
Jules62 wrote:
I too am a huge Chaplin fan, not just as an actor, bur even more so as a writer and director.
I think having a statue or some other memorial of him included in the new E&C development is a very good idea.

As for The Kid, this is the scene that does it for me: it shows how Chaplin could make us both laugh and cry and that is what set him aside from his contemporaries...

I think that's the genius of Chaplin: that he managed to pack so much into individual movies, but also that his movies were so diverse as well. His life story is fascinating as well.
Sunday 4 January 2015 11.27am
Another interesting but lesser known fact, Wag McDonald, part of the notorious Elephant and Castle mob in the 40's - 50's was one time bodyguard to CC in the US.
Sunday 4 January 2015 11.53am
jinkazama wrote:
Another interesting but lesser known fact, Wag McDonald, part of the notorious Elephant and Castle mob in the 40's - 50's was one time bodyguard to CC in the US.

It never ceases to impress me what a little research can lead to... I googled "Wag McDonald" and "Charlie Chaplin" and one of the the results gave me a lot of names I recognised from the TV series "Peaky Blinders", which I like to watch. In it, the main character is introduced to Charlie Chaplin by... Wag McDonald. PB is based on various real people, but it doesn't claim to be historically accurate, however, it fuels rumours like this.. Hands off Charlie, Brum! He's 'ours"! :)
Sunday 4 January 2015 8.30pm
He also composed Eternally from the film Limelight...e great film and the music was haunting...Be loving you eternally...with a love that's true eternally...now will have to go and Google it now. Think Jean simmons or Claire bloom had a role in it
Sunday 4 January 2015 8.41pm
Found some lovely versions of eternally now am searching for one with lyrics.amazing really must be about 60 years since I heard it! And it was sad..
Sunday 4 January 2015 10.21pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Found some lovely versions of eternally now am searching for one with lyrics.amazing really must be about 60 years since I heard it! And it was sad..

Petula Clark?
Sunday 4 January 2015 10.22pm
This BFI website has some fascinating
photographs of Chaplin visiting the Old Kent
Road in the 1960s here and here
Monday 5 January 2015 9.10am
Good idea but is it correct to say, as Simon Hughes claims, that Chaplin was born in this area? If you go to the Birmingham council site you will see that they are claiming he was born in Birmingham in a travellers' site in the late 19th century. They both can't be right can they?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: