Questions about Empire Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 5 January 2015 4.00pm
Hi all,

I've seen a really nice flat in Empire Square that I am thinking of renting, but I wanted to check out a couple of things first before signing on the dotted line that an Empire Sq resident might be able to help me with.

1) Are you able to get a decent broadband speed
2) Are you able to get a decent TV and radio reception
3) What is like for noise?

Thanks for your help
Tuesday 6 January 2015 5.05am
Hi Richie

We have lived in Empire Sq since it was built in 2006...to answer your questions:

1. Broadband speed is great - people either have BT Infinity or Sky and have no problems - I work at home using internet all day, and is all OK

2. TV is via the normal roof aeriel, but most people have SKY

3. Noise is quiet usually - the gates are closed at 10pm - if your apartment faces Long Lane you are liable to get more street noise there, but thats all.

Go for a a floor as high as possible. The concierge team are really good and have also been there since 2006, so know the place well. And having a gym downstairs is a real bonus !

I now sound like an estate agent (which I am not !!)

Feel free to send me a pvt message if you need any more detailed info

Cheers

Mark
Tuesday 6 January 2015 12.54pm
RE: Internet

Also Hyperoptic is available there I believe. Speeds up to 1Gbit

https://www.hyperoptic.com/
Tuesday 6 January 2015 1.21pm
I lived there for seven years. The level of noise depends on which side of the development you are.

If you're facing on to Long Lane you'll get a certain amount of traffic noise. Facing in other directions it's a bit quieter.

The quality of the double glazing in the apartments is very good, certainly in terms of noise reduction, so with the windows closed you shouldn't have too many issues, but you'll still hear a few sirens at night.

It's not worse than anywhere else in the immediate area, I think. If you face south, it's possible you'll be aware of the studenty crowd that congregates outside the Dover Castle pub on Great Dover St; their noise definitely travels.
Wednesday 7 January 2015 12.16pm
Thanks very much for your help - I've taken the flat and will be moving in at the weekend!
Sunday 11 January 2015 3.22pm
Welcome to the ward - myself (Karl.eastham@southwark.gov.uk), Claire Maugham and Vijay Luthra are your local councillors - get in touch if you need to.

Karl Eastham
Chaucer ward Labour Councillor

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: